BIS Certificate For Lithium Ion Battery | BIS Registration Consultants
Batteries are being used widely, from wired to electrical appliances to providing backup during power outages, the usage of batteries can not be outweighed by the dependence on electricity, considering that many electrical devices are operating on batteries.
Although, with its wide usage, it can not be ignored that batteries could have dangerous effects. If we take an example to understand why it is essential to get a BIS certificate for Lithium Ion Battery then we can talk about mobile phone batteries.
Mobile phone batteries are covered under the CRS certification scheme (one of the certification schemes under BIS), and the a possible need to get the battery of a mobile certified even before the mobile phone. The sequence of certification goes like this -
Cell testing - battery testing - testing of adapter - mobile testing - language testing.
The testing of cells is done prior to the battery before a battery is made of cells, thus, both need to be tested and certified. The major reason behind conducting testing of a cell and battery is to prevent overheating, short circuits, piercing of the battery, and other hazardous effects that can potentially occur.
On the contrary, we talk about lead-acid type batteries which are used to provide backup power to electric scooters, electrified bicycles, electric wheelchairs, and more.
Although, it is to be noted that, different types of BIS certification scheme is applicable on either of the mentioned batteries. As mentioned, CRS is applicable on lithium batteries, conversely, in the case of lead-acid type batteries, ISI certification is applicable.
Therefore, if you are a manufacturer of any of the batteries mentioned, or if your product includes any of these types of batteries, you need to obtain a BIS certificate for batteries.
In this blog, we will emphasize how to get a BIS license for battery - lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries, including a BIS certificate for battery import.
However, before that, let’s move on to schemes under BIS certification.
What Are the Different Certification Schemes Under BIS?
Before moving on to how to get a BIS certificate, it would be better if you were aware of all the certification schemes. Thus, for your reference, we are mentioning a brief about all the certifications under BIS.
Before indulging in the procedure of the ISI certification, let’s commence with what is ISI Mark.
It is a product certification scheme commenced by the BIS. ISI mark ensures that your product has complied with the prescribed standards.
ISI certification is mandatory to obtain for certain products without which you won’t be allowed to sell the product in India.
In a nutshell, it ensures high-quality products and consumers' safety.
As mentioned, ISI and FMCS certification schemes are quite similar, though the process changes as per the requirement. Why not have a look at what is FMCS certification in the next section?
FMCS (Foreign Manufacturer Certification Scheme) Certification
BIS FMCS is the license that is granted to foreign manufacturers to ensure compliance with Indian Standards.
To sell certain products in the Indian market, you are required to complete the BIS certification process, without which you would not be able to sell your products in the Indian market.
Also, the documentation and other processes under BIS FMCS certification are done offline with direct coordination with the BIS officer.
Activities involved in the completion of the FMCS certification process could be perplexing for foreign manufacturers, especially if you are obtaining it for the first time. That’s why we are assembled to help your businesses grow and expand by delivering what our clients desire, i.e., obtaining a BIS license.
FMCS certification is a comprehensive process because it includes on-site activities such as traveling to the client’s destination country, sample collection, delivery of the sample product to India, etc. Moreover, the manufacturer pays a VISA fee, additional audit charges, $10,000 (USD) as a Performance Bank Guarantee, etc.
As mentioned, FMCS is a comprehensive BIS certificate scheme as it is a manual or offline process, including several for a better understanding of how to get a BIS certificate.
Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS)
Under this scheme, electronic products, either imported or produced domestically, need to comply with the BIS standards. The conformity of the product will be issued after the examination and analysis of the samples and documentation for BIS registration.
In India, the Department of Electronics and Information Technology needs the obligatory certificate for 77 electronic products such as audio and video, IT equipment, mobile phones, smart card readers, and other similar gadgets.
Hence, every foreign manufacturer of these products is required to obtain a BIS license to import products to India. Consequently, if the foreign manufacturer operates in the Indian market without the BIS license, the manufacturer would be punished under the BIS Act.
Hope you have understood what ISI, FMCS, and CRS certification schemes are. With that let’s move to how to get a BIS certificate for the battery.
How to Get a BIS Certificate For Battery/ Lithium Ion Battery? | How to Apply For a BIS Certificate For Battery Import?
ISI Certification Process
- The application form needs to be filled out.
- Further, a factory inspection will be conducted for the assessment of manufacturing infrastructure, production process, quality control, and testing capabilities.
- During an inspection, a product sample will be drawn for testing in a third-party laboratory.
- To review, the test report of the product sample will be used.
- Finally, you can obtain the certificate, if your product complies with the laid standards.
FMCS Certification Process
- The application form will be duly filled out and accompanied by the required documents.
- Along with form submission, a requisite fee will be paid, then a factory inspection will be conducted to verify the manufacturing and testing infrastructure.
- During factory inspection, the sample of a product will be drawn for independent testing.
- Once the inspection and independent test report verify that the product is complying with the BIS standards, the registration process will move forward.
- Before the grant of a license, the applicant has to pay the license fee and advance minimum marking fee.
- After making payments, the Agreement, and Indemnity Bond will be signed and a $10,000 (USD) Performance Bank Guarantee must be furnished instantly after a grant of license.
- The FMCS certificate will be issued if a product complies with the BIS standards.
CRS Certification Process
- The manufacturer’s profile will be created on the BIS portal.
- The Test Report Format (TRF) will be generated for a BIS-accredited laboratory.
- After TRF generation, the lab will submit the report under the client’s profile on the BIS portal.
- Foreign applicants will duly appoint an Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) and must submit an affidavit cum undertaking as per Form A/B. While Indian applicants must submit an affidavit cum undertaking as per Format C.
- Furthermore, the online form will be submitted along with the required documents followed by the required fee.
- The certificate will be granted based on testing, not based on the factory visit, consequently, the CRS certificate will be obtained if your product complies with the BIS (CRS) requirements.
How Will We Help in BIS Certification?
- We assist you in knowing whether a product falls under the purview of BIS.
- For comprehensible guidance, we will first scrutinize the certification requirements of a product.
- We will provide you with information regarding the number of samples required for product testing because product sample requirement differs depending on product type.
- We will educate you about the BIS certification process, benefits, and documents required, including any queries you may have regarding the same.
- Being a reputed BIS consultant, we will provide you with technical and non-technical support.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with BIS requirements or not. While in the case of ISI certification, we can also conduct an on-site pre-audit, if required.
- JR Compliance offers competitive and excellent services to our clients by meeting the startled queries/demands of BIS.
- To ensure the utmost convenience for our client, we will also assist you in the customs clearance of the sample product.
- To meet your expectations we invest our efforts in day-to-day visits to the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We are available 24/7 to make sure our clients get what they expect from us, thus, we will provide you with the finest solution to your queries.
Understanding how to get a BIS certificate for the battery is quite challenging considering that it includes proper knowledge of the certification processes, understanding different standards on products, meeting distinct compliance requirements, and more. With that, the comprehensive processes of each certification scheme make it tough for a layman to have knowledge of each aspect related to BIS certification, we would ask you to contact a professional assistant - JR Compliance.
We - India’s #1 compliance service provider is equipped with all the resources to make the BIS certification process in Delhi or India seamless
Visit our blog to learn about BIS Certification for Heat Exchanger.