BIS Certificate For HS Code | ISI, FMCS, and CRS Certification Process
Before understanding how to get a BIS certificate for HS code, we would start with what is HS code exactly?
HS code - an acronym for Harmonized System Code, is a code used to classify the traded products. It is commonly used by customs authorities throughout the export of goods to provide a unique identity to the goods, to create a differentiation between products or services when assessing duties, responsibilities, and maintaining statistics.
Since we know what HS code is, we would like to inform you that, HS code is not a physical product, but an identity of a product. That's why, no BIS certificate is applicable on the same, although, a BIS certificate can be obtained for the products.
Let’s take an example for a better understanding, say, a foreign manufacturer wants to enter the Indian market, then he/she has to comply with the regulatory requirements to access the Indian market.
The role of the HS code is to create a unique identity for the product, so you can contact us and provide us with your HS code, and there, through thorough research, we can guide you on how to obtain a certain certificate.
Likewise, if an Indian manufacturer wants to enter the market for a foreign country, the product HS code can be used to find out details related to his/ her products.
Hope you have understood that “BIS certificate for HS code,” has no such real meaning, although we are assuming that you are searching for a BIS certificate for a specific product.
So, in the next section, let’s start with what BIS is?
What is BIS Certification?
BIS is an acronym for the Bureau of Indian Standards, which ensures that a product meets the prescribed standards through certification and testing. In a nutshell, it ensures that a product meets the standards of quality, safety, and credibility.
It came into existence in 1986 under the act of Parliament. BIS certification incorporates testing, hallmarking, product certification, standard formulation, and calibration.
Moreover, in the year 2016, the new Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016 came into existence which has fortified the activities of the BIS considering standardization and certificate of products, articles, systems, processes, and services.
A BIS certificate offers an abundance of benefits to a product, from ensuring quality to the safety of consumers.
Let’s move to the next section to know the certification scheme under BIS.
Which BIS Certification is Applicable to HS Code?
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) includes three different certification schemes, namely -
- Indian Standards Institute (ISI)
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS)
- Compulsory Certification Scheme (CRS)
Let’s understand each scheme in detail -
Indian Standards Institute (ISI) is the certificate scheme under BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) which confirms that a product withstands the BIS standards which ensures safety.
Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS) as per the BIS Act, 2016 and Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018, BIS has the authority to provide a license to the foreign manufacturer to sell products in the Indian market.
Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) under the Scheme-II of Schedule-II of BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018. Further, under this, a number of guidelines have also been formed for electric and electronic products.
As you must have understood, both the certification schemes include different products depending on which a certain BIS certificate is applicable on the same.
Just so we are clear, ISI and FMCS certification includes all the products such as cattle feed, steel, food, cables, toys, and more, excluding electric and electronic products such as air conditioners, mobile phones, barcode scanners, etc, as these fall under CRS. It is to be noted that, the process of all the certification schemes under BIS differs, thus, it is necessary to thoroughly understand the HS code of a product, or else it could delay the process of certification.
Each of the products under any of the certification schemes has its unique HS code, through which one can easily find the name of the product.
Here, let’s have a look at the process of obtaining a BIS certificate.
How to Get a BIS Certification? BIS Certification Process
ISI Certification Process
- The application form needs to be filled out.
- Further, a factory inspection will be conducted for the assessment of manufacturing infrastructure, production process, quality control, and testing capabilities.
- During an inspection, a product sample will be drawn for testing in a third-party laboratory.
- To review, the test report of the product sample will be used.
- Finally, you can obtain the certificate, if your product complies with the laid standards.
FMCS Certification Process
- The application form will be duly filled accompanied by the required documents.
- Along with form submission, a requisite fee will be paid, then a factory inspection will be conducted to verify the manufacturing and testing infrastructure.
- During factory inspection, the sample of a product will be drawn for independent testing.
- Once the inspection and independent test report verify that the product is complying with the BIS standards, the registration process will move forward.
- Before the grant of a license, the applicant has to pay the license fee, and advance minimum marking fee.
- After making payments, the Agreement, Indemnity Bond will be signed and a $10,000 (USD) Performance Bank Guarantee must be furnished instantly after a grant of license.
- The FMCS certificate will be issued if a product complies with the BIS standards.
CRS Certification Process
- The manufacturer’s profile will be created on the BIS portal.
- The Test Report Format (TRF) will be generated for a BIS accredited laboratory.
- After TRF generation, the lab will submit the report under the client’s profile on the BIS portal.
- Foreign applicants will duly appoint an Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) and must submit an affidavit cum undertaking as per Form A/B. While Indian applicants must submit an affidavit cum undertaking as per Format C.
- Furthermore, the online form will be submitted along with the required documents followed by the required fee.
- The certificate will be granted based on testing, not based on the factory visit, consequently, the CRS certificate will be obtained if your product complies with the BIS (CRS) requirements.
With the process of BIS certification, it is easy to understand how comprehensive it is, considering that it requires a great deal of effort and time, to meet the compliance requirement of any product under the purview of BIS.
No problem! We have got you covered.
To make you understand how we will make BIS certification seamless, move to the next section.
How Will We Help in BIS Certification?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of the BIS certificate.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- Obtaining a BIS certification is no easy task, however, there is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced BIS consultants, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with BIS requirements or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- As a leading compliance service provider, JR Compliance will assist you in the customs clearance of the sample products.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
Hope you have understood, that the keyword, “BIS certificate for HS code,” is nothing but an HS code given to a product as a unique identity. Thus, you don’t have to get a BIS certificate for HS code, but for the product.
So, to engage in trading it is necessary to have appropriate knowledge of the HS code of your code, and if you want to apply for a BIS certificate for any of the products - JR Compliance is a one-stop solution for your compliance needs.
Contact our experts immediately, to meet Indian and Global Compliance Requirements.
BIS Certification Process | ISI, CRS, FMCS
Confused which BIS certification scheme is applicable to your product? No worries, we have got you covered - click here to know all about BIS certification process - ISI, CRS, and FMCS.
BIS Certificate For Cables | ISI and FMCS Certification
Want to know everything about how to get BIS Certificate For Cables or ISI and FMCS Certification? Click and know - benefits, types of BIS certification schemes, and process.