BIS Certificate For Electrical Appliances | BIS Certification
The Indian electrical appliances market is expected to grow by a CAGR of 6.66% during the forecast period to reach around USD 8310.45 million by 2027, considering that consumers prefer technologically advanced appliances.
Moreover, with the rising innovation and increase in the demand for advanced and innovative appliances India's electrical appliance market is expected to grow and diversify in the succeeding five years.
The expected increase in the demand for electrical appliances reflects a scope of growth for the manufacturers or importers of electrical appliances since it provides a broader market size for them to sell or distribute their products. However, it is to be noted that a BIS license for electrical appliances is a mandatory requirement to import or sell a product in the Indian market.
Similar to the constant rise in the electronic markets with the estimated value of India’s digital economy being $1 trillion by the year 2025, the large segment of electrical appliances, big or small, is constantly increasing too as mentioned earlier.
Let’s understand, the category of electrical appliances, it is basically divided into two categories: small and large electrical appliances.
The small electrical appliances include juicer mixers, grinders, toasters, electric kettles, induction cooktops, electric cookers, coffee makers, and others (air fryers, blenders, sandwich makers, etc.). Conversely, large electric appliances include refrigerators, kitchen hoods, ovens, and dishwashers.
A BIS certification for electrical appliances is an obligatory requirement to sell or distribute electrical appliances in India as it signifies that a product meets the safety requirements. That gives rise to - which BIS certification scheme is applicable for electrical appliances.
Though unlike the BIS certificate for electronics appliances, CRS is not applicable to electrical products, to obtain a BIS certificate for electrical appliances, the other two certifications under BIS certification are applicable. Let’s move on to which BIS certification is applicable to electrical appliances.
Which BIS Certification Scheme is Applicable to Electrical Appliances?
BIS includes three certification schemes that are applicable to different product certification schemes -
- Indian Standard Institute (ISI)
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS)
- Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS)
Let’s understand each scheme in detail -
Indian Standards Institute (ISI) is the certificate scheme under BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) which confirms that a product withstands the BIS standards which ensures safety.
Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS) as per the BIS Act, 2016 and Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018, BIS has the authority to provide a license to foreign manufacturers to sell products in the Indian market.
Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) under the Scheme II of Schedule II of BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018. Further, under this, a number of guidelines have also been formed for IT and electronic products.
As you must have understood, both certification schemes include different products depending on which a certain BIS certificate is applicable on the same.
Just so we are clear, ISI Mark certification and FMCS certification include all products such as cattle feed, steel, food, cables, toys, and more, excluding electric and electronic products such as air conditioners, mobile phones, barcode scanners, etc, as these fall under CRS. It is to be noted that, the process of all the certification schemes under BIS differs, thus, it is necessary to thoroughly understand that no BIS certification is applicable to electrical appliances, or else it could delay the process of certification
Here, let’s have a look at the process of obtaining a BIS Registration
How to Get a BIS Certificate For Electrical Appliances | BIS Certification Process
ISI Certification Process
- The application form needs to be filled out.
- Further, a factory inspection will be conducted for the assessment of manufacturing infrastructure, production process, quality control, and testing capabilities.
- During an inspection, a product sample will be drawn for testing in a third-party laboratory.
- To review, the test report of the product sample will be used.
- Finally, you can obtain the certificate, if your product complies with the laid standards.
FMCS Certification Process
- The application form will be duly filled out and accompanied by the required documents.
- Along with form submission, a requisite fee will be paid, then a factory inspection will be conducted to verify the manufacturing and testing infrastructure.
- During factory inspection, the sample of a product will be drawn for independent testing.
- Once the inspection and independent test report verify that the product is complying with the BIS standards, the registration process will move forward.
- Before the grant of a license, the applicant has to pay the license fee and advance minimum marking fee.
- After making payments, the Agreement, and Indemnity Bond will be signed and a $10,000 (USD) Performance Bank Guarantee must be furnished instantly after a grant of license.
- The FMCS certificate will be issued if a product complies with the BIS standards.
How Will We Make BIS Certification Process Seamless?
We will educate you concerning every aspect of the BIS certificate.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- Obtaining a BIS certification is no easy task, however, there is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced BIS consultants, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with BIS requirements or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS-accredited laboratory for product testing.
- As a leading compliance service provider, JR Compliance will assist you in the customs clearance of the sample products.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
Meeting the requirements of ISI certification and FMCS certification to obtain a BIS certificate for electrical appliances is quite comprehensive, considering that it includes a number of activities - be it documentation, customs clearance of samples, coordinating with officials or laboratory, and more. These activities make ISI certification and FMCS certification quite complex, thus challenging, especially for a layman.
We - JR Compliance with experience of over 9+ years guarantee to establish real-time expectations and meet them by following the established requirements. We have got you covered - be it completing documentation, complying with the established standards, coordinating with officials, whatnot, consider it done with our support.
Get in touch with us, to meet your BIS certification compliance requirements.