What is the BIS Certification Process For Importers?
India’s imports accounted for 23.74% to year-on-year USD 52,01 billion by January 2022. While in this year, India’s imports from China grew by 4%, thus, reflecting that India is one of the major importers. Though, it is to be noted that, to import a product in India, that specific product needs to comply with the established guidelines.
These guidelines have been implemented to ensure that a product complies with the established safety standards. For instance, if you are importing steel, you are required to obtain a BIS certification to ensure that an imported item is of high quality.
Want to obtain a BIS certification process for importers to be a part of the Indian market, which is constantly growing?
Indeed, the market serves as a perfect opportunity for manufacturers to grow their businesses. However, to ensure safety the government has implemented several parameters which are obligatory to follow.
If not, a product can not be sold or distributed in the Indian market.
Consequently, it is necessary to keep the final consumer safe. Just like the implementation of BIS certificates on LED lights, electronic products, and helmets, the BIS certification process for importers is a mandatory requirement to enter the Indian market.
In brief, similar to all the products which require BIS certification for imports, a foreign manufacturer also needs to obtain a BIS certification for the import.
That leads us to one of the important questions - which BIS certification is applicable to products that fall under the purview of BIS?
To import a product in the Indian market, you are required to obtain CRS and FMCS certificates depending on the type of product you are importing.
Though, before understanding how to get a BIS certification process for importers, let’s start with the basic definition of this certification -
Which BIS Certification is Applicable For Imports?
If you are looking for a passageway to the Indian market, we have got two ways to do it, that is by getting Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) and Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS).
Although, it is to be noted that, both the certification schemes are applicable to different product types. To make it clear, we will discuss both the certification scheme in detail.
Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) is a registration scheme under Scheme - II of Schedule - II of BIS regulation, 2018. It is applicable to electronic products such as microwaves, set-top boxes, mobile phones, and more.
On the other hand, Foreign Manufacturer Certification Scheme (FMCS) ensures that a product manufactured in foreign abides by Indian standards. It is more like a passageway to the Indian market.
The definition of both the BIS certification conforms to the Indian standards to make a product safe and reliable.
With a better understanding of BIS certification for the import, let’s move to its certification process -
What is the BIS Certification Process For Importers?
As mentioned, CRS and FMCS certification schemes are applicable to import a product, which differs depending on the product you are importing. To make the BIS certification process clearer, let’s have a look at it -
BIS Certification For CRS
- A manufacturer’s profile will be duly created on the BIS portal.
- After the creation of the profile, Test Report Format (TRF) will be generated.
- Once the TRF is generated, the lab will submit the test report under the client’s profile on the BIS portal.
- An affidavit cum undertaking will be submitted under form A/B.
- An applicant’s application will be duly submitted along with the required documents.
- Once the submission of the required information, a CRS certificate will be provided.
NOTE - A CRS certificate is provided on the basis of product testing, not factory inspection.
BIS Certification Process Of FMCS
- An application will be duly filled out along with the required documents.
- With form submission requisite fee will be paid, then a factory inspection will be conducted.
- During factory inspection, samples of products will be withdrawn for independent testing.
- The certification process will only move forward if the factory inspection and product testing report indicate conformity with the established laws.
- Prior to providing a grant of a license, a license fee and advance minimum marking fee will be paid.
- Once the payments have been made, an agreement and indemnity bond will be signed, including the payment of USD dollar 10,000 Performance Bank Guarantee immediately after receiving the grant of license.
- If a product conforms to the standards, a certificate will be issued.
So, get a BIS certificate as per your product, conversely, obtaining a BIS certification for imports could be quite challenging, due to the comprehensive process.
It includes activities such as customs clearance of the product, delivering a product to India, and more - thus, lack of knowledge could result in rejection of certification.
No problem! We have got you covered, let’s have a look at how we will make BIS certification seamless for you -
Our Role in BIS Certification For Import
- Our consultants will check under which purview of BIS your products fall for a better understanding of applicable standards.
- To provide clear guidelines in regard to the product, we will analyze the product requirements.
- Our BIS consultants will provide you with complete support in documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with all the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit.
- We directly coordinate with the officials, thus, we can schedule a factory inspection.
- A house testing facility is one of the essential requirements to obtain an FMCS certificate, our consultants are abreast with all the information to assist you in establishing one.
- We will directly coordinate with the laboratory to ensure appropriate follow-ups.
- Our experts will coordinate with the customs clearance authority to provide you with 100% assistance in customs clearance.
- If required by authorities, we will pay a visit to the BIS office to resolve any query they may have.
- We will invest our sustained efforts in meeting the startled requirements of officials.
- We will provide you with 24*7 support to solve any concerns you may have.
BIS certification process for importers includes a number of parameters to meet, as per the applicable standard, therefore, making certification tedious and complex. However, it is obligatory to obtain, because it serves as evidence of high quality, reliable, and safe products.
You are at the right place!
JR Compliance, India’s one of the leading compliance service providers is equipped with resources and expertise to meet all the certification requirements. Be it documentation, coordination with officials, conducting pre-audits, and more - consider it done.
Contact our experts and get your BIS certification done.