BIS Electrical Standards | BIS Licence
BIS electrical standards are adopted to ensure the safety of final consumers by ensuring the manufacturing of high-quality products. If you are wondering, how an electrical product could harm us, then I would say, it could have some adverse effects on humans.
For instance, bis-certified LED lights have been implemented as a protection against electric shocks, insulating resistance, preventing cap temperature rise, and more.
Likewise, other electrical equipment can be detrimental to us, in one or another way, considering its effects, the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) has been implemented to ensure the manufacturing of high-quality electrical products, be it manufactured/ imported in India.
Part 2/ Section 3 of the BIS was adopted after the finalization of the draft by the Electrical Appliance Sectional Committee which was approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council. The fundamental purpose of revising the existing standards was to ensure safety and to improve performance requirements.
BIS electrical standards have been entrusted that a product is qualified for the Indian acceptance level of safety and protection. Though, Indian BIS electrical standards include several products like fans, refrigerators, laptops, etc.
However, in this blog, we will emphasize requirements for household and other similar appliances.
Visit our blog to learn about BIS Certification for Heat Exchanger.
BIS Standard For Household and Similar Appliances
This BIS electrical standard deals with the safety of electric dry irons, steam irons, and irons that have separate water reservoirs or boilers. Below-mentioned are the general requirements applicable to households and other similar appliances -
1. General Requirement For Testing
- Irons will be tested as heat appliances, even if they incorporate motors.
- Relevant tests are applicable for the irons if they directly connect to the main supply, or for both modes of operation.
2. Marking and Instructions
An appliance must be marked with its rated power input.
Separate standards must be marked with trademark, name, identification mark of manufacturer, etc.
Separate stand iron must include the model or type reference of the stand.
Stands of cordless irons must be marked with rated voltage/ rated voltage range, and rated power input.
Instructions for use must include -
- Irons should not be left unattended while connected to the electrical supply.
- Before filling the water reservoir iron must be disconnected from the socket outlet.
- For safe refilling of the water reservoir, ensure that the aperture does not remain open while using the iron.
- Always use the iron on the provided stand.
- Travel irons are not intended to be used regularly.
3. Protection Against Access to Live Parts
- Connecting devices in stands of cordless iron are not termed socket outlets.
4. Temperature Rise
- If the temperature of the irons incorporates motors, transformers, or electric circuits - the test must be repeated with the appliance supplied at 1.06 voltage.
- Irons are placed on the floor of the test corner and must be away from the walls.
- Irons, other than cordless, shall also be tested with a soleplate placed in a horizontal position.
- Irons must withstand the electric strength of 16.3 and must give input for 1 minute under normal conditions.
- The test will only be performed at the rated power input.
- Steam irons will be tested with/ without water, which is unfavorable.
- The test should only be performed when the iron is resting on its stand.
- A test will be performed for 5 minutes except if the motor is kept switched on by hand.
6. Mechanical Strength
- Iron must be operated under normal conditions at the rated power input, excluding cordless irons which must be tested under soleplate temperature conditions.
- Water reservoir steam irons incorporating separate boilers must have at least one non-self-resetting thermal cut-out which must be accessible through tools.
- Pressure limiting devices should have an inlet aperture of at least 5mm diameter, 20 m2 area, and 3 mm width.
- Any device that has been incorporated into the iron should have 19.4 and should be a non-self-resetting thermal cut-out.
- The switch controlling steam or water emission is subjected to 50,000 operation cycles.
- A component incorporated in iron to comply with 19.4, must not have self-resetting.
9. Supply Connection and Other External Flexible Cords
- Travel irons and cordless irons could have type Z attachments.
- Braided cords could be used.
- For the connection of the main supply, Polyvinylchloride sheathed cords should be used.
This is one of the BIS electrical standards - however if you need to know other applicable standards on electrical products, reach out to us right now and get a FREE consultation.
Our Role in the Implementation of BIS Electrical Standard
- Our expert BIS consultants will prescribe you the appropriate methods and procedures for sampling the BIS electrical standard.
- We will understand the requirements - be it implementation applicable to BIS electrical standards.
- For the implementation of the BIS electrical standard, having proper knowledge of parameters.
- After proper analysis and understanding, we will ensure to conduct adequate applicable standards on BIS electrical standards.
- Our consultant will invest their time and efforts in providing appropriate procedures.
- We guarantee accurate documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- For our client’s convenience, we will coordinate with the laboratory for the BIS electrical standard as per the applicable standard.
- We will conduct a pre-audit, to ensure your manufacturing assessment, electrical product quality, and other aspects conforms to the established standards.
- Our experts are capable of assisting Indian and international clients to the best of our knowledge.
- We will coordinate with the officials to meet any startled requirements that may arise.
- We will provide you with 24*7 customer service to solve any query you may have.
A proper understanding of the BIS electrical standard, including implementing any other BIS standard could be perplexing because the general and additional requirements change as per the products.
No worries, we are here to help you! JR Compliance - India’s #1 compliance service provider follows a client-centric approach, to provide you with 100% error-free assistance.
So, get in touch with us now to know the requirements of BIS Registration Online.