BIS Registration For Detergent | BIS Certification
Detergent, a component used to clean clothes, have you ever thought it could cost you your consumers?
A detergent contains alkyl aryl type, such as sodium salts of alkyl benzene sulphonic acid, which could be harmful to the skin, as it lingers into the fabric, and then rubs off against the skin.
Considering its harmful effects, the Bureau of Indian Standards introduced IS 4955: 2001 to eliminate all the toxic elements from detergent to determine the suitability of a new formulation or of a new raw material used in old formulations on the skin through prescribing necessary tests under IS 11601 (Part 1). Part 2 of IS 11601 prescribes the Methods of testing for the skin sensitization potential of synthetic detergents (Guinea pig maximization test) that need to be followed.
Moreover, to label a detergent as safe for the environment, an ECO mark needs to be labeled on the product as introduced by the Ministry of Environment and Forest (MEI).
Though BIS registration for detergent needs to be done, however, it is to be noted that it is not a mandatory requirement to obtain a BIS certification Services for detergent, but voluntary. Yet being a professional we would advise you to get your BIS registration done to ensure a high-quality product and consumer safety.
Moreover, a BIS-certified product also ensures credibility which helps in retaining customers.
Let’s commence with what BIS certification is and its benefits in the next section.
What is BIS Certification?
BIS is an acronym for the Bureau of Indian Standards, which ensures that a product meets the prescribed standards through certification and testing. In a nutshell, it ensures that a product meets the standards of quality, safety, and credibility.
It came into existence in 1986 under the act of Parliament. BIS certification incorporates testing, hallmarking, product certification, standard formulation, and calibration. Moreover, in the year 2016, the new Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016 came into existence which has fortified the activities of the BIS regarding standardization and certificate of products, articles, systems, processes, and services.
What Are the Benefits of Obtaining a BIS Certificate?
As we have talked about earlier, a BIS certificate offers numerous benefits to manufacturers/ distributors/ sellers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A BIS certificate acts as a shield against penalties and fines that could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A BIS certificate serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Provides easy market access.
Since you are aware of the possible benefits you can avail yourself of from getting a BIS certification for detergent, it is clear to estimate that a BIS-certified product allows you to expand your market share, increase your sales, and help you retain your customers by ensuring manufacturing of high-quality products. With that let’s move to which BIS certificate is applicable to BIS certification for detergent.
Which BIS Certification Scheme is Applicable on a Detergent?
BIS certification includes three certification schemes namely -
- Indian Standards Institute (ISI)
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS)
- Compulsory Certification Scheme (CRS)
Let’s understand each of the certification schemes in brief -
ISI certification scheme ensures that a product complies with the established Indian standards thus, ensuring conformity with standards and safety of the final consumer.
On the other hand, the FMCS certification scheme is applicable to foreign manufacturers to ensure that foreign-manufactured products comply with Indian standards.
Though, it is to be noted that, ISI and FMCS are similar in many respects, one such respect is products under their purview, both certification schemes include products like cattle feed, cement, food products, and more.
Conversely, CRS is applicable to electronically produced products - be it domestically or internationally. Some of the examples of products under CRS purview are mobile phones, electronic products, and more. Although, there might be a possibility that you might need to obtain an EPR in e-waste management.
Out of the mentioned BIS certification schemes, ISI and FMCS certification schemes are applicable to the BIS certification for Detergent. With that, let’s understand how to get a BIS certificate of BIS certification for Detergent.
How to Get a BIS Certificate For Detergent | How to Apply For a BIS Certificate of Detergent?
ISI Certification Process
- The application form needs to be filled out.
- Further, a factory inspection will be conducted for the assessment of manufacturing infrastructure, production process, quality control, and testing capabilities.
- During an inspection, a product sample will be drawn for testing in a third-party laboratory.
- To review, the test report of the product sample will be used.
- Finally, you can obtain the certificate, if your product complies with the laid standards.
FMCS Certification Process
- The application form will be duly filled out and accompanied by the required documents.
- Along with form submission, a requisite fee will be paid, then a factory inspection will be conducted to verify the manufacturing and testing infrastructure.
- During factory inspection, the sample of a product will be drawn for independent testing.
- Once the inspection and independent test report verify that the product is complying with the BIS standards, the registration process will move forward.
- Before the grant of a license, the applicant has to pay the license fee and advance minimum marking fee.
- After making payments, the Agreement, and Indemnity Bond will be signed and a $10,000 (USD) Performance Bank Guarantee must be furnished instantly after a grant of license.
- The FMCS certificate will be issued if a product complies with the BIS standards.
How Will We Help in BIS Certification?
- We assist you in knowing whether a product falls under the purview of BIS.
- For comprehensible guidance, we will first scrutinize the certification requirements of a product.
- We will provide you with information regarding the number of samples required for product testing because product sample requirement differs depending on product type.
- We will educate you about the BIS certification process, benefits, and documents required, including any queries you may have regarding the same.
- Being a reputed BIS consultant, we will provide you with technical and non-technical support.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with BIS requirements or not. While in the case of ISI certification, we can also conduct an on-site pre-audit, if required.
- JR Compliance offers competitive and excellent services to our clients by meeting the startled queries/demands of BIS.
- To ensure the utmost convenience for our client, we will also assist you in the customs clearance of the sample product.
- To meet your expectations we invest our efforts in day-to-day visits to the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We are available 24*7 to make sure our clients get what they expect from us, thus, we will provide you with the finest solution to your queries.
Understanding how to get a BIS certification for Detergent is quite challenging considering that it includes proper knowledge of the certification processes, an understanding of different standards on products, meeting distinct compliance requirements, and more. With that, the comprehensive processes of each certification scheme make it tough for a layman to have knowledge of each aspect related to BIS certification, we would ask you to contact a professional assistant - JR Compliance.
We - India’s #1 compliance service provider is equipped with all the resources to make the BIS certification process in Delhi or India seamless.
Ping us and get your BIS certificate instantly.