How To Apply For Gst Number 2023? [Updated]
GST was introduced on July 1, 2017, as a singular indirect tax applicable on goods and service supply as a replacement for multiple cascading existing indirect taxes levied in the country. In addition to that, even after the introduction of GST in the year 2017, India has approx 12.38 million tax-paying population. Moreover, it is to be noted that, GST is a detailed, multi-layered, and destination-based tax, levied on every purchase. However, the question to be asked is - how to apply for GST registration updated.
GST has magnificently transformed the existing tax structure and, thus, the economy. The fundamental motive for introducing GST was to eliminate the seller from transferring the burden of indirect tax to the buyer. And GST certificate fulfills the purpose - that is working as a system of Input Tax credit that allows the seller to claim the tax they have already paid while marking a purchase from a retailer.
Therefore, reducing the final liability of consumers.
Since, we are aware of the fundamental motive of GST, before knowing how to apply for GST, let’s have a look at the benefits of GST application.
What Are the Benefits of GST Registration?
- Eliminate the tumbling effect of tax.
- Enhance the efficiency of logistics.
- Provide choice to the small taxpayers, comprising some category of service providers and manufacturing with turnover equal to Rs 20 lakh to pay tax at a flat rate excluding credits.
- The exemption limit applies to SGST and CGST and taxpayers with a turnover of Rs 20 lakh (in some hilly and Northeastern areas, annual turnover restraint is Rs 10 lakh), under Article 279A.
- Assist in keeping the minimal level of exempted goods and services.
- Initially, the taxes imposed on the sale of goods and services are contemporary due to the supply of goods and services.
The above-mentioned benefits signify it is necessary to understand how to apply for a GST number - as it will help you obtain these benefits. With that, let’s move to what is the GST number before getting into how to apply for a GST number.
What is the GST Number?
Before knowing how to check/ apply for it, let’s know, what the GST number is. Here, GST number/ GSTIN is the 15-digit PAN-based number allotted to every registered individual under GST.
Typically, it is a unique identity number, which can be used for verification. Since it is clear, what is GST, let’s have a quick look at the purpose of filing a GST or GST Certificate.
The primary objective of the GST is to eradicate double taxation or tax on tax which cascades from different levels of manufacturing to consumption.
Thus, it supersedes the number of Central taxes such as Excise Duty, Service Tax, CGST, and State tax such as VAT (Value added tax), Octroi, Entertainment Tax, and Luxury Tax.
To be noted, GST is charged at each step of the supply chain. Thus an individual has to pay GST at three levels of the supply chain: the purchase of raw materials, selling to wholesalers, and selling to consumers.
Additionally, taxpayers who comprise a turnover below Rs 1.5 crore can apply for the composition scheme, which will prevent the taxpayer from the tedious formalities of GST certificate and pay GST at a fixed rate of turnover.
Now that we know what the GST number is and the purpose of filing the GST, let’s finally jump to - how to apply for a GST number.
How to Apply For GST | GST Registration Certificate Process
- Login credentials will be generated by creating a profile under the "New Registration" option on the GST certificate official portal.
- After registration, a TRN number will be generated
- Once the TRN number is generated, the information or documents for GST registration will be provided or affixed.
- The application will be submitted either through an E-signed method or Electronic Verification Code or in the case of the registration of companies, a Digital Signature Certificate must be obtained.
- Once the application is submitted, an ARN number will be generated (to track the application status).
Note- After obtaining TRN, you need to complete the registration process in 15 consecutive days.
Once your GST certificate is done, a GST number will be generated, but it can not be ignored that it is a perplexing process and penalties could be imposed on you if a GST registration certificate is not done.
No worries! JR Compliance has got you covered - be it GST registration, incorporation of Pvt ltd, limited company Registration, an OPC, and other corporate compliance services, including compliance services like BIS certification.
In the next section, let’s learn about, how to do GST verification or how to do GST checks online.
How to Do GST Verification | How to Do GST Check Online | GST Registration Status
GST verification or GST check online can be done through below mentioned four easy steps -
- Visit the official GST website for GST verification/ GST registration status.
- The next step involved in GST Check Online is to click on, "search taxpayer."
- Thereafter, click on, "search by GSTIN/ UIN," for the GST registration check.
- Provide your GSTIN or UIN number for GST verification.
GST registration check or GST Check Online includes the mentioned four steps, moreover, anyone with a PAN card and GSTIN number can complete the GST verification within a few seconds. However, if talk about what GST Check Online or GST Verification would reflect, then through GST Verification you can check whether a company obtaining a GST certificate is active or not, what services a company provides, and whether a company obtaining a GST certificate has filed tax return not.
Moreover, GST verification does not involve a comprehensive process and the documents for GST registration status checks are PAN card or GSTIN number can help you complete the GST verification, considering that details obtained through GST registration check or GST Check Online are public.
Finally, in the next section let’s learn how we are going to help you - how to get a GST number/ how to complete GST registration.
How We Make GST Registration Seamless For Our Clients?
- Our GST registration consultants will provide you with complete assistance throughout the process of GST registration.
- Our GST registration consultant will help you with documentation to avoid inaccuracy and ensure the availability of documents for GST certificates when required.
- To enhance your convenience, our GST registration consultant will keep track of your GST registration.
- Our GST registration consultant guarantees to keep you informed and ensure to provide you with proper follow-ups.
- In case of any query, we will provide you with the most satisfactory solution concerning the GST Certificate.
As mentioned, GST registration is a comprehensive process and any delay in application filing or late submission of documents could impose a penalty on you. Consequently, assistance is essential to complete the GST registration process.
So, get your GST registration done with India’s #1 competent and reliable compliance service provider - JR Compliance, our mantra is to ensure the success of our clients which is why we work tirelessly to make it happen. Moreover, our expert team invests their time and efforts to provide prompt and high-standard services while ensuring the convenience of our clients at a reasonable cost.
In a nutshell, we are offering you a package deal - a deal to get your certification within time constraints, that too with the assistance of our experts.
Hence, for expert and professional services, contact us immediately for GST Certificate consultants.