How to Get a BIS Certification For Steel Imports | ISI Mark on Steel Products
Steel is a multi-purpose alloy, which is used for several traditional applications, it could be construction, automotive, and aircraft industries, transport infrastructure, heavy industrial equipment, and many more. Considering the use of steel, it is important to maintain its quality, else, it could harm us or the economy because infrastructure development is one of the essential aspects of economic development.
Moreover, as per the reports, demand for steel was expected to grow by 16.7% in the year 2021 and further in 2022.
No doubt, the steel market is constantly growing with the investment of the government in infrastructure development, thus, providing an opportunity for manufacturers and importers to expand their business. In this blog, we will precisely focus on How to Get a BIS Certification For Steel Imports or ISI Mark on Steel Products.
India accounted for over 891 billion rupees of iron and steel imports in the previous year.
Wouldn’t you want to be a part of a potentially growing market?
Indeed, the steel market serves as a great opportunity for steel manufacturers to grow and diversify their business, not only Indian manufacturers but foreign manufacturers too. However, India being one of the largest importers of steel, the government has implemented several parameters which are obligatory to follow to ensure high quality and safety.
If not, a product can not be sold or distributed in the Indian market.
That leads us to one of the important questions - which BIS certification is applicable to steel? Does a foreign manufacturer require a BIS certificate too?
FMCS certification schemes applicable to steel - it is a certification scheme that is applicable to foreign manufacturers. And of course, as mentioned BIS certificate is an obligatory requirement for Indian and foreign manufacturers.
Though, before understanding how to get a BIS certification for steel, let’s start with the basic definition of this certification -
Which BIS Certification is Applicable on Steel?
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) includes three different certification schemes, namely -
- Indian Standards Institute (ISI)
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS)
- Compulsory Certification Scheme (CRS)
Let’s understand each scheme in detail -
Indian Standards Institute (ISI) is the certificate scheme under BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) which confirms that a product withstands the BIS standards which ensures safety.
Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS) as per the BIS Act, 2016 and Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018, BIS has the authority to provide a license to the foreign manufacturer to sell products in the Indian market.
Though all these certification schemes are not applicable to steel, only ISI and FMCS are two certification schemes application on the same. Thus, to build credibility and trustworthiness, you need to obtain ISI and FMCS BIS certificates for import.
Thus, obtaining an FMCS certification process includes several on-site activities such as traveling to the destination country of the client, product sampling, delivery of product samples to India, and more. It also includes payment of VISA, boarding, audit charges, and more.
Well, we understand FMCS certification better than any BIS consultants because we have completed over 10,000+ BIS certification projects.
With a better understanding of the ISI and FMCS certification scheme, let’s move to the certification process -
How to Get a BIS Certification Process For Steel Process?
As mentioned, ISI and FMCS are certification schemes applicable to steel depending on whether a manufacturer is Indian or Foreign.
ISI Mark on Steel Products | Certification Process
- An application form will be duly filed.
- A factory inspection will be conducted for the assessment of manufacturing infrastructure, production process, quality control, and more.
- During factory inspection, a product sample will be withdrawn for testing in a third-party laboratory.
- The product test of the tested sample will be reviewed.
- If a product complies with the established safety standards, an ISI certificate will be issued.
FMCS Certification Process For Steel Products
- An application will be duly filled out along with the required documents.
- With form submission requisite fee will be paid, then a factory inspection will be conducted.
- During factory inspection, samples of steel will be withdrawn for independent testing.
- The certification process will only move forward if the factory inspection and product testing report indicate conformity with the established laws.
- Prior to providing a grant of a license, a license fee and advance minimum marking fee will be paid.
- Once the payments have been made, an agreement and indemnity bond will be signed, including the payment of USD dollar 10,000 Performance Bank Guarantee immediately after receiving a grant of license.
- If a product conforms to the standards, a certificate will be issued.
Hope it’s clear what steps are involved in BIS certification for steel, however, it requires more than just knowledge of the procedure to get a BIS certification. That might include, how to coordinate with officials or laboratories for product testing, submission of correct documents, or more.
And we believe, we can assist you in meeting all the requirements as prescribed by authorities, while you have to do is to sit back and relax. Let’s see, what would be our role in BIS certification -
Our Role in BIS Certification For Steel Products
- To provide clear guidelines in regard to the product, we will analyze the product requirements.
- Our BIS consultants will provide you with complete support in documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with all the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit.
- We directly coordinate with the officials, thus, we can schedule a factory inspection.
- An in-house testing facility is one of the essential requirements to obtain ISI and FMCS certificates, our consultants are abreast with all the information to assist you in establishing one.
- We will directly coordinate with the laboratory to ensure appropriate follow-ups.
- Our experts will coordinate with the customs clearance authority to provide you with 100% assistance in customs clearance.
- If required by authorities, we will pay a visit to the BIS office to resolve any query they may have.
- We will invest our sustained efforts in meeting the startled requirements of officials.
- We will provide you with 24*7 support to solve any concerns you may have.
BIS certification of steel imports or ISI Mark on Steel Products includes a number of parameters to meet, as per the applicable standard, therefore, making certification tedious and complex. We provide the best BIS Certification services in Delhi. However, it is obligatory to obtain, because it serves as evidence of high quality, reliable, and safe products.
You are at the right place!
JR Compliance, India’s one of the leading compliance service providers is equipped with resources and expertise to meet all the certification requirements. Be it documentation, coordination with officials, conducting pre-audits, and more - consider it done.
Get in touch with us right now and meet your compliance requirements, be it ISI mark on steel products or obtaining FMCS.