How to Get BIS Certificate For Import | BIS Certification For Imported Goods
In the year January 2021, India’s total value of merchandise imports stood at USD 41.99 billion, however, it was USD 41.51 in January 2020 - reflecting the increase in import by 2.05%. The increment in India’s merchandise imports can be seen clearly, to import products in India, a product needs to meet certain standards established by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
Now, the question is how to get BIS certificate for import?
Before moving forward to the above-mentioned question, let’s have a look at what is a BIS?
BIS is a National Standard Body, established under the BIS Act, 2016 with the fundamental motive to ensure the harmonious development of standardization, marking, and quality certification of products. Moreover, the motive of BIS is to provide traceability and tangibility benefits to the Indian economy.
It begs a question, which standards will be applicable to a product?
Well, as the product is being imported into the Indian market, foreign manufacturers must ensure that a product meets the standards of BIS, not of their domestic country.
Keeping the importance of the BIS certificate in mind to import products in India, let’s move to why do importers need a BIS certificate?
Why do Importers Need a BIS Certificate?
- A BIS certificate is a mark of safety and conformity, which ensures that a product is safe for the final consumer, which constitutes one of the major reasons to obtain a BIS certificate.
- If your product falls under the mandatory product category, it is obligatory to obtain a certificate without which your product will be debarred in the Indian market.
- Be it toys, batteries, cattle feed, kitchen appliances, or any other products under the purview of BIS, an importer can enjoy a competitive advantage over its competitors by obtaining a BIS certificate.
- A BIS certificate serves as a mark of a high standard or quality product because it reflects that a product is tested and has met the established standards.
- Easy market access is one of the most important advantages of a BIS certificate.
Now that you are aware of why an importer needs a BIS certificate, let’s have a look at which type of certificate an importer would need.
What Are the BIS Certificates an Importer Would Need?
An importer would require to obtain two types of BIS certificates depending on the product type,
1. Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS)
Now let’s learn about how to get BIS certificate for import.
How to Get a BIS Certificate For Import?
Before diving into the certification process, we will first try to understand, some basic aspects of a particular certificate,
1. Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS)
Under the Compulsory Registration Scheme, an imported product needs to conform to the established BIS established standards. Moreover, the conformity of a product will be issued once product testing and analysis will be done, along with the documentation.
According to the order, no importer is authorized to sell or distribute products in the Indian market, if it does not conform to the BIS standards.
Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) Certification Process
- On the BIS portal, a manufacturer’s profile will be created.
- From a BIS accredited laboratory, a Test Report Format (TRF) will be generated.
- Once TRF will be generated, a report will be submitted under the client’s profile on the BIS portal by the laboratory.
- An applicant must require to appoint an Authorized Indian Representative (AIR) and should submit an affidavit cum undertaking according to Form A/B.
- Thereafter, online forms and documents will be submitted with the required fee.
- A CRS certificate will be issued if your product meets the established standards.
Note- A CRS certificate will be issued on the basis of product testing, not on the basis of factory inspection.
Product List Under CRS
- Microwave oven
- Set-top box
- Mobile phone
- LED light
- Digital camera
- Passport reader
- Smart card readers and more
2. Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS)
Under BIS Act 2016 and Rules and Regulations, BIS has been operating the FMCS since 2000 to grant the license to the foreign manufacturer to ensure conformance with the Indian standards.
It is applicable to all the products, excluding electronics and IT products. Hope you have understood what the FMCS certificate is, now, let’s move to, how to obtain it,
Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme (FMCS) Certification Process
- Duly fill out the application form along with the required documents and the requisite fee will be paid.
- Thereafter, to verify the manufacturing and testing infrastructure, a factory inspection will be conducted.
- During factory inspection, samples of the product will be drawn for independent testing.
- The registration process will move further, once it is verified that a factory inspection and product testing complies with the laid standards.
- Prior to receiving the grant of a license, a license fee and advance minimum marking fee will be paid.
- Once the payment is successfully made, an Agreement and the Indemnity bond will be signed, including the furnishing of the Performance Bank Guarantee of (USD) $10,000 after immediately receiving a grant of license.
- If a product complies with the established standards, and FMCS certificate will be issued.
Product List Under FMCS
- Food and food-related products
- Aluminum foil
- Medical equipment
- Cattle feed
- Kitchen appliances
- Electric transformers
- Oil pressure stove
- Electric motors
- Chemicals and fertilizers and others
We believe that now, all your doubts in regard to - how to get BIS certificate for import must be clear since each step that
needs to be followed is explained in detail. However, obtaining a BIS certificate is not quite as easy as it seems, because it includes activities such as coordinating with officials, custom clearance of the sample products, meeting startled requirements of the BIS officials, and more.
We are one of the trusted BIS certificate consultants because we have successfully completed 10,000+ CRS certifications and 1,000+ FMCS certifications, while we are proud of ourselves that we are still working on 1,000+ BIS projects.
Let’s have a look at our role in obtaining a BIS certificate for import.
How Will We Help You in Getting a BIS License For Import?
- We will educate you regarding each aspect of CRS and FMCS certification.
- Our consultants will inform you under which purview a product falls or whether it falls under the purview of BIS or not.
- To give reliable and clear guidelines, we will analyze each and every aspect of the product requirement.
- We care about our clients' satisfaction, which is why we will take care of documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We will provide you with information with respect to the samples required for testing.
- We are equipped with all the necessary resources to provide you with complete assistance in the customs clearance of the product.
- We are equipped with technical equipment to conduct a virtual pre-audit. Also, if required we can conduct a manual pre-audit (in case of CRS).
- We will directly coordinate with officials to conduct a factory inspection.
- In the case of FMCS, we are equipped with all the resources to establish a laboratory, if you lack one.
- Our consultants will invest their sustained efforts in day-to-day visits to the BIS office on your behalf.
- Our BIS certification consultants will provide you with 24*7 support to resolve all your queries.
India being one of the major import destinations, makes it obligatory for the manufacturers to obtain a BIS certificate as it serves as a mark of safety, and reliability, and ensures that a product has met the established standards.
However, getting a BIS certificate for import remains the most asked question, especially if you are a layman or new importer.
No worries, JR Compliance - an award-winning compliance service provider is equipped with all the necessary resources to provide you with complete assistance. Be it documentation, filling the registration form, coordinating with officials, or any other certification requirement - we have a solution to all your concerns.
For a free consultation, contact our experts