IS 10810 (Electrical Cables and Wires)
IS 10810, Indian Standard which includes the methods of test for cables. A large number of Indian Standards have been published including distinct requirements for electrical cables. Therefore, to bring uniformity and eliminate repetition, a standard has been introduced to consolidate methods for various tests in one place.
Indian Standard 10810 includes different parts, each part of this standard deals with a particular test to provide an open option to the users to procure as relevant to their activities besides providing consolidated details at a place.
Though BIS has introduced the mentioned standard for quality assurance in view of public interest, yet had not made it mandatory but a voluntary requirement. Being experts in the compliance industry, we - India’s leading compliance service provider would advise you to obtain relevant certification to ensure conformance with compliance standards.
A standard mark on the cables will also provide a competitive edge to a manufacturer or importer. Therefore, ensuring higher sales and profit as it builds trust and credibility.
Though, to ensure the manufacturing or importing of high-quality products, certain tests are conducted that serve as proof of high-quality assurance and credibility.
Basically, the mentioned standard includes the information regarding the test to be conducted on the electrical cables to check their quality and credibility to reflect that certain technical standards have been followed. Particularly, product testing is crucial to ensure that a product is safe and reliable, which is essential to stay ahead of the competition and maximize its reputation and profits.
Above all, product testing helps you retain the consumers by meeting their expectations.
For a better understanding of why product testing is important, let’s have a look at the importance of product testing.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility. For a better understanding, let’s have a look at an example,
Through product testing, it can be easily proved that electrical cables are safe to use, however, in case of any defects are found during product testing, will be rectified.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Compliance with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 2465 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Here, under these standards, different methods of testing for electrical cables, wires, and cords in the finished stages, including their components, such as a sheath, armor, and more. Let’s have a look at basic three tests conducted under IS 10810 -
- Routine test
A routine test demonstrates the integrity of the cable, it is made by manufacturers and is applicable to lengths of finished cables.
- Type test
This needs to be conducted prior to introducing the product on a general commercial basis to demonstrate satisfactory performance of characteristics to meet desired applications.
- Acceptance test
The acceptance test is applicable to samples taken from a lot for the purpose of acceptance of the lot.
With the understanding of product scope and types of testing, in the next section, we will have a look at different methods of test applicable to the table as per distinct parts of the IS 10810.
List of Methods of Test For Cables
|Part of the number of IS 10810
|Annealing Test for Wire. Used al Conductors
|Tensile Test for Aluminum Wires
|Wrapping Test for Aluminum Wires
|Persulphate Test of Conductor
|Conductor Resistance Test
|Thickness of Thermoplastic and Elastomeric Insulation and Sheath
|Tensile Strength and Elongation at Break of Thermoplastic and Elastomeric Insulation and Sheath
|Breaking Strength and Elongation at Break for Impregnated Paper Insulation
|Tear Resistance for Paper Insulation
|Loss of Mass Test
|Thermal Aging In Air
|Ozone Resistance Test
|Heat Shock Test
|Hot Deformation Test
|Accelerated Aging Test by Oxygen Pressure Method (under preparation)
|Tear Resistance Test for Heavy Duty Sheath (under preparation)
|Color Fastness to Daylight
|Bleeding and Blooming Test
|Cold Bend Test
|Cold Impact Test
|Vicat Softening Point
|Melt Flow Index
|Water Soluble Impurities Test of Insulating Paper
|Conductivity of Water Extract Test of Inlulatlng Pap.r
|pH value of Water Extract Test of Insulating Paper
|Ash Content Test of Insulating Paper
|Water Absorption Test ( Electrical)
|Environmental Stress Cracking Test
|Hot Set Test
|Oil Resistance Test
|Carbon Content Test for Polyethylene
|Water Absorption Test (Gravimetric)
|Measurement of Thickness of Metallic Sheath
|Determination of Tin In Lead Alloy for Sheathing
|Dimensions of Armouring Material
|Tensile Strength and Elongation at Break of Armouring Material
|Torsion Test on Galvanized Steel Wires for Armouring
|Winding Test on Galvanized Steel Strip. for Armouring
|Uniformity of ZInc Coating on Steel Armor
|Mass of Zinc Coating on Steel Armor
|Resistivity Test of Armor Wlr.s and Strips and Conductance Test of Armor (Wires/Strips)
|Insulation Resistance Test
|High Voltage Test
|Partial Discharge Test
|Dielectric Power Factor Test
|Heating Cycle Test
|Static Flexibility Test
|Accelerated aging test
|Oxygen index test
|Determination of amount of halogen acid gas evolved during combustion of polymeric material taken out from cable
|Thermal stability of PVC insulation and sheath
|Flame retardant test
|Flame retardance test for bunched cables
|Measurement of smoke density of electric cables under dire conditions
|Measurement of temperature index
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 10810 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of Indian Standard 10810.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 10810, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only essential but mandatory to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 10810 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.