IS 14255 (Electrical Cables & Wires)
IS 14255, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are highly used in the Mining industry and metro industries since it includes Heavy-Duty Electric Cables, Cross-linked Polyethylene Insulated Sheathed Cables, Aerial Bunched Cables, and other types of cables.
Considering the crucial role played by cables in major industries of India, the Bureau of Indian Standards introduced the mentioned standards keeping in view of public interest. That’s why, BIS certification is a mandatory requirement for cables, for the purpose of quality assurance.
The use of cables in these industries could affect the Indian economy as a whole since these industries have a major impact on economic growth.
Though, to ensure the manufacturing or importing of high-quality products, certain tests are conducted that serve as proof of high-quality assurance and credibility.
Basically, the mentioned standard includes the information with respect to the test to be conducted on the electrical cables to check their quality and credibility to reflect that certain technical standards have been followed. Particularly, product testing is crucial to ensure that a product is safe and reliable, which is important to stay ahead of the competition and to maximize the reputation and profits.
Above all, product testing helps you retain the consumers by meeting their expectations.
For a better understanding of why product testing is important, let’s have a look at why product testing is crucial in the next section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility. For a better understanding, let’s have a look at an example,
Through product testing, it can be easily proved that electrical cables are safe to use, however, in case of any defects, they will be found during product testing.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
The conformance with compliance offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 14255 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Finally, move to the scope of the product under IS 14255, in the next section.
Scope of Product
IS 14255, an Indian Standard for cables, typically covers requirements for polyethylene or crosslinked polyethylene insulated cables with aluminum conductors twisted over a central bare/insulated aluminum alloy messenger wire for use as overhead distribution feeders.
Moreover, cables under the purview of IS 14255 are appropriate to be used in three-phase AC systems, both earthed and unearthed for rated voltage up to and including 1100 V. Additionally, it is to be noted that, the cables that fall under the purview of these standards might be operated continuously at a power frequency voltage 10 percent higher than the rated voltage.
Lastly, the cables that fall under the purview of this standard are appropriate to use for the combination of ambient temperature and temperature increase because of load, which also includes the temperature rise due to the exposure of cables to sunlight, which results in -
|Types of insulation||Normal continuous operation||Short circuit operation|
|Polyethylene||70-degree celsius||160-degree celsius|
|Crosslinked polyethylene||90-degree celsius||250-degree celsius|
Source: Bureau of Indian Standards
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 14255 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of Indian Standard 14255.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 14255, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, which are one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only essential but mandatory to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 14255 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have the experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.