IS 1554 (Part 1) (Electrical Cables and Wires)| BIS Certification Online
Indian Standard 1554 was adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards on 25 July 1998, proceeding to finalization by the Power Cables Sectional Committee which had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.
The mentioned standard was adopted in 1970 and revised in 1981. The need to meet the specifications for PVC-insulated heavy-duty electrical cables is mandatory due to the limitations of the short-circuit ratings of the type of cable included in this standard because of the absence of the metallic sheath and the possible loss of electrical contact between stands of adjacent wires/stripe of armoring as a result of corrosion or the presence of compound between them or both.
These cables are primarily used in construction sites, electric connections, factories, and other purposes. Therefore, keeping the public interest and safety in view, it is mandatory to obtain a BIS Certification Online to sell or distribute PVC-insulated heavy-duty electrical cables to ensure safety and reliability.
As a result, the mentioned cables have to undergo specific tests in accordance with IS 1554. For a better understanding of why product testing is essential, let’s move to the next section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility. For a better understanding, let’s have a look at an example,
Through product testing, it can be easily proved that electrical cables are safe to use, however, in case of any defects found during product testing can be easily resolved.
Since it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further help in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines that could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 1554 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
In the next section, we will learn about the test requirements and product scope of the IS 1554.
The IS 1554 part 2, includes specifications for armored and unarmored single-core, twin-core, three-core, and multi-core PVC insulated and sheathed cables for electric supply and control purposes.
The cables included under IS 1554 are appropriate to use for one AC single phase or three phases (earthed or unearthed) systems for rated voltages up to and including 1100 V. These cables may be used on DC systems for rated voltages up to and including 1500 V to earth.
In addition, cables included in this standard are appropriate for use where ambient temperature and temperature increase due to load resulting in a conductor temperature not increasing as follows -
|Type of insulation||Normal continuous operation||Short circuit condition|
|General purpose||70-degree celsius||160-degree celsius|
|Heat resisting||85-degree celsius||160-degree celsius|
Also, as mentioned above, armored cables are appropriate to use in mines, after ensuring conformance with additional requirements.
With the understanding of the product scope of IS 1554, let’s move to the next section to understand testing requirements under the same.
1. Physical Test For Insulation and Sheath
The below-mentioned test will be conducted as applicable -
- Tensile strength and elongation at break
- Aging in an air oven
- Aging in air bomb
- Aging in an oxygen bomb
- Hot set
- Oil resistance
- Heat shock test of insulation and sheath
- Tear resistance
- Loss of mass of insulation and sheath
- Mass of zinc coating
- Shrinkage test of insulation and sheath
- Thermal stability
- Water absorption (gravimetric) (for insulation, where applicable)
2. Type Test
The below-mentioned test is covered under the type test of IS 1554-
- Persulphate test (for copper)
- Annealing test (for copper)
- Tensile test (for aluminum)
- Wrapping test (for aluminum)
- Conductor resistance test
- High voltage (water immersion) test
- Insulation resistance test
- Test for the thickness of insulation and sheath and overall diameter
3. Dimension of Armor
4. Flammability Test
A flammability test will be performed, period or after removal of the flame shall not exceed 60 seconds the unaffected (uncharted) portion from the lower edge of the top damp shall be at least 50 mm.
5. High Voltage Test
High voltage test includes two types of testing as mentioned below -
- Type or acceptance test
The cables under this standard must withstand without breakdown an AC voltage equal to 3 Uo but below the value given in the below-mentioned table when applied to the sample between conductor and screen/metallic tape/armor (and between conductors in case of unscreened cables).
Moreover, the value must increase gradually to a particular value and be maintained for a duration of four hours.
- Routine test
A routine test is made by the manufacturer on all final goods lengths to demonstrate the integrity of cables.
6. Resistance, conductance armor
If cables are being used for the purpose of mining the resistance of armor shall not exceed that of the conductor as specified in IS: 8130-1984 by more than 33 percent.
7. Thickness of insulation and sheath
The average thickness of insulation and sheath must not be below, as mentioned in the table below -
8. Physical Test For Round or Formed Wires
Below mentioned tests are involved in physical tests for round or formed wires -
- Tensile strength
- Elongation at break
- Torsion test for round wire
- Winding test for formed wires
- Uniformity of zinc coating
- Mass of zinc coating
How do We help Ensuring Conformance With IS 1554 Part-1 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of Indian Standard 1554.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with the provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS-accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 1554 Part 1, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only essential but mandatory to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 1554 Part 1 with the purpose of introducing your product to the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above-and-beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, Get in touch with the best compliance consultants in India.