IS 1897 (Electrical Conductors and Conducting Materials)
Indian Standard 1897 was adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards, proceeding to the finalization of the draft by the Copper and Copper Alloys Sectional Committee, which had been approved by the Metallurgical Engineering Division Council.
IS 1897 was first published in 1962 and was subsequently revised in 1971 and 1983 to incorporate the below-mentioned modifications -
- Definition of the strip has been modified to 6 mm thick
- Reference to cathode copper has been deleted
- Edgewise bending tests have been made optional
- Mechanical properties Table I have been modified
- The temperature correction factor in electrical resistivity has been added as a note
- An alternate method for electrical conductivity tests included
- Straightness value 00 mm per 1 000 mm length has been added
The copper strips are usually used for electrical connections and winding, for transformers and related electrical machinery to ensure safety and reliability, which is ensured through product testing.
Though it is not mandatory to test and certify your product under IS 1897, being experienced professionals, we will recommend you to test your product for customer retention and higher sales.
For a better understanding of why product testing is important, let’s have a look at why product testing is crucial.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility. Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 1897 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Product Scope Under IS 1897
Indian Standards 1897, includes specifications for copper strips for electrical purposes withdrawn or rolled edges (either round or square) in the annealed, half hard, and hard condition.
1. Dimensions and tolerances
The copper must be supplied in dimensions as provided in IS 3052 subject to the tolerance specified in the same standard. Moreover, strips shall have corners or edges either radius or square. In the former case, the radius of curvature shall be in accordance with below-mentioned table, unless otherwise stated -
2. Electrical resistivity and conductivity
To conduct an electrical resistivity test, at least one sample for each bundle or from 500 kg or single coil weight, whichever will be higher will be taken from distinct boxes or crates or bundles as the case might be and individually subjected to the electrical resistivity test. The samples must meet the requirements of the lot to be accepted.
The standard value at 20 degrees Celsius for the electrical resistivity of annealed high conductivity copper will be taken as 0.017 24 ohm mmvm. The electrical resistivity of the strip shall be measured in accordance with IS 3635.
The electrical resistivity values as provided in the below mentioned table -
3. Freedom of defects
The copper strips must be clean, bright, smooth, and free from harmful defects. Moreover, strips not supplied in coils shall be reasonably flat and free from twists.
4. Mechanical properties
The material when tested in accordance with IS 1608 and IS 150 and has the mechanical properties as provided in the below mentioned table -
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 1897 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of IS 1897.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 1897, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only mandatory but necessary to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 1897 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.