IS 2082 (ELECTRICAL- DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES)
Indian Standard 2082 has been adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards, proceeding to the finalization of the draft by the Electrical Appliances Sectional Committee, which was approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council
This standard typically includes safety and performance requirements for Stationary Storage Type Electric Water Heater. Originally, it was published in 1962, however, has been revised three times in 191965, 1978, and a third time in 1985, while the fourth revision took place in 1992.
The primary motive behind introducing IS 2082 was to state and define the principal performance characteristics of stationary storage type electric water heaters for households and similar appliances to meet the safety requirements of the public.
India offers a wide household appliances market for a manufacturer, to retain customers. Indian household market is one of the largest markets to retain your customers from, be it an Indian manufacturer or foreign. Moreover, it is expected to generate revenue of USD $73.11 billion in 2022, while it is expected to grow annually by 4.40% (CAGR 2022-2027).
A stray Indian household market offers a wider market to manufacturers to sell or distribute their products. Thus, providing them an opportunity to retain customers and higher sales by providing them a tested product.
For a better understanding of why product testing is important, refer to the next section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 2082 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Now, in the next section, we will learn about test requirements and product scope under each part of the IS 2082.
Product Scope IS 2082
Indian Standard 2082 includes safety and performance requirements with respect to Stationary storage type Electric Water Heater for households and other similar purposes.
Test Requirements and Characteristics Tested
1. Type Test
Schedule of type test includes below-mentioned test -
- Standing loss per 24 hours
- Hot water output
- Reheating time
- Mixing factor
- Deviation of dial calibration
- Cyclic temperature variation
- Test requirements
These tests would be conducted on the two samples taken out from the batch during factory inspection. However, prior to starting the test, the water heaters shall be visually examined and inspected for obvious visual defects in respect of components, parts and their assembly, construction, stability markings, provision of suitable terminals for supply connections, earthing, and the effectiveness of screws and connections….
2. Measurement of Energy Consumption
The consumption of electric energy will be measured on the basis of a watt-hour meter and will be recorded in kilowatt hours to the nearest 0.1kwh.
3. Measurement of Stored Water Temperature
Measurement of stored water temperature without water withdrawal is done by placing a thermocouple placed inside the upper section of the container. However, the thermocouple will be placed outside of the metal container.
Therefore, the mean water temperature after the thermostat cutting out will be calculated as follows -
The mean water temperature after a thermostat cut-in OBis' the average value of n temperatures 8BI recorded after each cut-in of the thermostat and is given by:
4. Mounting of Water Heater
The wall-mounted water heaters are mounted on the panel located at least 150mm from any structured wall. Moreover, they are positioned in a way that there is space of at least 250mm above and below the heart, including having space of at least 700mm at the sides and front.
Moreover, the measurement of the temperature of withdrawn water in the continuous outflow. Therefore, the temperature must be accurate at +- 0.5k and the used thermometer used to conduct the test must show results accurately and quickly under any conditions.
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 2082 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of IS 2082.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS-accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 2082, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only mandatory but necessary to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 2082 with the purpose to introduce your product to the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.