IS 2465 (Electrical Cables & Wires)
IS 2465 is an Indian Standards under Bureau of India Standards, which is applicable to cables, which are highly used in the automotive industry. India, being the fourth largest automotive market, is ready to perceive 10% growth in 2022 due to strong underlying demand contemplating an increase in the recovery of the economy and consumers' preference to buy personal transportation.
That reflects that the Indian automotive industry provides a wider market to the manufacturers and importers to establish a strong consumer base. Moreover, with the rise in demand for personal transportation, it can not be eliminated if a consumer prefers a safe and reliable vehicle and along with possessing safety airbags, the cables used in vehicles must be of high quality too.
Though BIS has introduced the mentioned standard for quality assurance in view of public interest, yet has not been made mandatory but a voluntary requirement. Being experts in the compliance industry, we - India’s leading compliance service provider would advise you to obtain relevant certification to ensure conformance with compliance standards.
Apart from that, a standard mark on the cables will also provide a competitive edge to a manufacturer or importer. Therefore, ensuring higher sales and profit as it builds trust and credibility.
Though, to ensure the manufacturing or importing of high-quality products, certain tests are conducted that serve as proof of high-quality assurance and credibility.
Basically, the mentioned standard includes the information with respect to the test to be conducted on the electrical cables to check their quality and credibility to reflect that certain technical standards have been followed. Particularly, product testing is crucial to ensure that a product is safe and reliable, which is important to stay ahead of the competition and to maximize reputation and profits.
Above all, product testing helps you retain the consumers by meeting their expectations.
For a better understanding of why product testing is important, let’s have a look at why product testing is crucial.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility. For a better understanding, let’s have a look at an example,
Through product testing, it can be easily proved that electrical cables are safe to use, however, in case of any defects, it will be found during product testing.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
A BIS certificate offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 2465 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Indian Standard 2465 is an Indian Standard for Cables For Motor Cables, which was adopted on 26 June 1984 once the draft was finalized by the Power Cables Sectional Committee. The mentioned standard was first published in 1963 and revised in 1969.
The types of cables this standard includes are rationalized and it includes the requirements and tests for the following types of cables for general use in motor vehicles:
- Ignition cables are of mentioned types -
- Elastomer insulated.
- PVC insulated.
- General wiring cables of the following types where the voltage does not exceed 100 V:
- Single-core PVC insulated
- Circular twin, three and four core PVC insulated
- PVC sheathed
- Round and flat tinned copper braids without further covering for earthing.
Classification of Tests Included in IS 2465
1. Types of Test
Annealing test is applicable on copper wires.
The Persulphate test is applicable on tinned copper wires.
The conductor resistance test is not applicable on earthing braids cables.
A test will be conducted to check the thickness of f insulation and sheath and other dimensions.
The physical test will be carried out for PVC insulation and sheath are:
Tensile strength and elongation at break,
Aging in an air oven,
Loss of mass test,
Hot deformation test,
Heat shock test,
Physical tests carried out for elastomeric insulation are:
- Tensile strength and elongation at break,
- Aging in an air oven,
- Aging in an oxygen bomb.
- High voltage test
- Capacitance test
The ozone resistance test is applicable on ignition cables.
Types test applicable as per revised IS 2465 - 1984 -
- Effect of heat on flexibility for ignition cables.
- Effect of oil for ignition cables.
- Effect of lubricating oil, brake fluid, diesel, and petrol for general wiring cables.
2. Acceptance test
Under the acceptance test, below mentioned test will be carried out -
- Resistance test
- Test for the thickness of insulation and sheath
- Dimensional checks
- High voltage test
3. Routine test
Under routine test, the following test will be conducted -
- Resistance test
- High voltage test
- An alternative to a high voltage test can be conducted, which is the Spark test for single-core general wiring cables.
4. Optional test
The optional test includes -
- Effect of cooling on flexibility
- Flammability test for cables for general wiring.
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 2465 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of Indian Standard 2465.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 2465, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only essential but mandatory to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 2465 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.