IS 302 (Part 2 Section 9) ELECTRICAL- DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES
The Indian Standard 302 Part 2 Section 9 is applicable to toasters, grills, roasters, and other similar portable cooking appliances for households and similar use. It was adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards succeeding to the finalization of daft by the Electrical Appliances Sectional Committee, which was approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.
IS 302 Part 2, Section was published in 1993, however, had been undertaken primarily to appropriately align with the International Standard and revised part of the mentioned standard (IS 302 Part 2 Section 9).
As mentioned, this standard includes safety requirements with respect to toasters, grills, roasters, and other similar portable cooking appliances for households and similar use. Though, it is not mandatory to ensure conformance with compliance requirements mentioned in Indian Standard, although, to retain the customers, we would advise you to meet the safety specifications.
Moreover, the market size of roasters and grills is constantly increasing, considering that it is expected to grow by 7.61% CAGR by 2022-2027. And if we talk about the market size of the toasters market, is it expected to grow annually by 3.88% (CAGR 2022-2027)?
From the numerical data, it can be seen that the market size of toasters, grills, and roasters is constantly expanding and diversifying, showing a clear passageway for manufacturers to increase their sales and achieve a competitive advantage through providing a tested product.
For more information regarding the importance of product testing.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 302, part 2, section 9 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Product Scope IS 302, Part 2, Section 9
IS 302, Part 2, Section 9 includes the safety specifications and requirements with respect to toasters, roasters, and grills, including other similar electrical portable appliances used in households for the purpose of baking, roasting, and grilling, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
For your reference, below mentioned are some of the appliances which fall under the scope of IS 302 Part 2 Section 9 -
- Barbecues for indoor use,
- Contact grills (griddles),
- Food dehydrators,
- Portable ovens,
- Raclette grills,
- Radiant grills,
- Rotary grills,
- Waffle irons.
With a handful of understanding of the product scope of IS 302, Part 2, Section 9, let’s move to characteristics tested and types of tests conducted to ensure conformance with compliance.
Characteristic Tested and Type of Tests Performed
- Schedule test
Schedule test includes the following tests -
- Abnormal operations
- Protection against electric shocks
- Commencement of motor-operated equipment
- Input and output
- Rise of temperature
- Operation under overload conditions of equipment with the heating element
- Electrical insulation and current leakage at atmospheric conditions
- Radio and television interference suppression
- Moisture resistance
- Insulation resistance electrical strength (succeeding to the treatment of humidity)
- Overload protection
- Endurance, though this test is under consideration
- Stability and mechanical hazards
- Mechanical strength
- Internal wiring
- Supply connection and external flexible cables and cords
- Terminals for external conductors
- Provisions of earthing
- Screws and connections
- Creepage distance clearance and distance through insulation
- Resistance to heat, fire, and tracking
- Resistance of rusting
- Radiation toxicity and alike hazards
2. Type test
Type test includes tests mentioned the below mentioned table -
These tests will be specifically conducted on the sample of the electric insect killer that will be randomly obtained from a regular production lot.
However, prior to the commencement of the test, insect killers must be visually examined and inspected with the purpose to find visual defects in parts of components, assembly, marking, construction, mechanical hazards, earthing, and effectiveness of screws and connections.
Once the test is conducted, obtained samples must ensure conformance with compliance requirements to ensure product credibility, reliability, and safety.
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 302 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of IS 302.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS-accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 302, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only mandatory but necessary to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 302 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.