IS 398 (Part 1) (Electrical Conductors and Conducting Materials)
Indian Standard 398 part 1, was adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards, after the finalization by Conductors and Accessories for overhead lines Sectional Committee, which had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.
These cables are used for the purpose of transmitting electricity, considering their importance and usage, it is mandatory to obtain a BIS certification keeping the public interest in view. Therefore, to establish that a product is safe and reliable, the product must be tested and certified in accordance with IS 398, considering that product testing serves as proof that a product has met all the safety requirements.
For a better understanding of why product testing is essential, let’s move to the next section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility. For a better understanding, let’s have a look at an example,
Through product testing, it can be easily proved that electrical conductors are safe for electrical transmission, however, in case of any defects, it will be found during product testing. Therefore, will be rectified.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standard offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 398 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Now, in the next section, we will learn about the test requirements and product scope of the IS 398.
IS 398 part 1 includes specifications and tests for aluminum for stranded conductors used for overhead transmission purposes.
In the next section, let’s have a look at the test requirements in the next section -
Test Requirements of IS 398 (Part 1)
1. Breaking Load Test
The break load test of the specimen will be determined by means of a suitable tensile testing machine. The load shall be applied gradually and the rate of separation of the jaws of the testing machine shall be not less than 25 mm/min and not greater than 100 mm/min.
2. Freedom From Defects
The wires must be smooth and free from all defects, not consistent with good commercial practice.
3. Diameter of Individual Aluminum Wires
One specimen cut from each of the samples taken must be measured by a micrometer. The diameter of the wire shall be measured using a micrometer having a flat surface on both the anvil and the end of the spindle to be read with a micrometer. The diameter in millimeters shall be the average of three diameter measurements each of which is the average of the maximum and minimum reading at a point taken near each end and in the center of the sample.
4. Lay Ratio
The ratio of the axial length of a complete turn of the helix formed by an individual wire in a stranded conductor to the external diameter of the helix.
5. Type Test
The below-mentioned test is covered under type test of IS 398-
- Measurement of diameter of aluminum wire
- Breaking load test of individual aluminum wire
- Wrapping test of aluminum wire
- Resistance test of aluminum wire
- Measurement of the lay ratio
6. Breaking Load Test
A breaking load test will be conducted on aluminum wire from the samples taken through wrapping round the mandrel of diameter equal to wire diameter to form a close helix of eight turns. Then, six turns must be unwrapped and again closely wrapped in the same direction as before. The wire must not break.
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 398 Part-1 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of Indian Standard 398.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 398 Part 1, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only essential but mandatory to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 398 Part 1 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.
IS 398 (Part 5) (Electrical Conductors and Conducting Materials)
Indian Standard 398 Part 5 was adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards after the finalization by Conductors and Accessories for overhead lines Sectional Committee, which the Electrotechnical Division Council had approved.
IS 398 (Part 4) (Electrical - Conductors and Conducting Materials)
IS 398 part 4 includes specifications with respect to aluminum conductors for overhead transmission purposes, especially those used for transmission of energy. This standard was adopted by Indian Standard Institute on June 3rd, 1976, proceeding to finalization by the Conductors and Power Cables Sectional Committee, which was approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.