IS 398 (Part 4) (Electrical - Conductors and Conducting Materials)
IS 398 part 4 includes specifications with respect to aluminum alloy stranded conductors of aluminum magnesium silicon type for overhead transmission purposes, especially those used for transmission of energy. This standard was adopted by Indian Standard Institute, proceeding to finalization by the Conductors and Power Cables Sectional Committee, which was approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.
Though originally the standard was published in 1953 and its first revision was conducted in 1961.
Considering the importance of aluminum conductors for overhead transmission purposes, that’s why it is important to ensure conformance with specified guidelines and specifications in the view of public interest. Though, it is to be noted that it is not obligatory to obtain a BIS certification to introduce your product in the Indian market. However, being an expert and depending on our experience, we would advise you to obtain a certification to retain customers, file government tenders, and other benefits.
And in order to establish that a product is safe and reliable, a product must be tested and certified as provided in the concerned standard. For a better understanding of why product testing is essential, let’s move to the next section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standard offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further help in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 398 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Now, in the next section, we will learn about the test requirements and product scope of the IS 398.
Product Scope IS 398 (Part 4)
Indian Standard 398 part 4 includes standards and tests for aluminum alloy stranded conductors of aluminum magnesium silicon type for overhead transmission purposes.
With that, let’s move to test requirements under IS 398 part 4, in the next section.
Test Requirements of IS 398 (Part 4)
1. Freedom From Defects
The wires must be smooth and free from all defects, not consistent with good commercial practice.
2. Lay Ratio
The ratio of the axial length of a complete turn of the helix formed by an individual wire in a stranded conductor to the external diameter of the helix.
3. Type Test
Below mentioned tests are involved in type test -
- Measurement of diameter of aluminum wire
- Breaking load test of individual aluminum wire
- Wrapping test of aluminum wire
- Resistance test of aluminum wire
- Measurement of the lay ratio
4. Breaking Load Test
Breaking load tests will be conducted on both, aluminum wires and aluminized steel wires. The breaking load of one specimen out from each of the samples provided as provided in the standard must be determined by means of a suitable tensile testing machine. The load shall be applied gradually and the rate of separation of the jaws of the testing machine must be not below 25 mm/ min and not greater than 100 mm/min. The ultimate breaking load of the specimens must be not less than the appropriate value specified in below mentioned tables.
5. Ductility Test
The ductility test is applicable on aluminized steel wires, as mentioned below -
- Torsion test
One specimen cut from each of the samples must be gripped at its ends in two vices, one of which shall be free to move longitudinally during the test. A small tensile load not exceeding 2 percent of the breaking load of the wire, shall be applied to the sample during testing.
The specimen shall be twisted by causing one of the vices to revolve until a fracture occurs and the number of twists shall be indicated by a counter or other suitable device. The rate of twisting shall not exceed 60 rev/min. When tested before stranding, the number of complete twists before fracture occurs shall be not less than 18 on a length equal to 100 times the diameter of the wire.
The fracture shall show a smooth surface at right angles to the axis of the wire. When tested after stranding, the number of complete twists before a fracture occurs shall be not less than 16 on a length equal to 100 times the diameter of the wire. The fracture shall show a smooth surface at right angles to the axis of the wire.
- Elongation test
The elongation of one specimen cut from each of the samples must be determined. The specimen shall be straightened by hand and an original gauge length of 200 mm shall be marked on the wire.
A tensile load shall be applied as described in 12.2 and the elongation shall be measured after the fractured ends have been fitted together. If the fracture occurs outside the gauge marks, or within 25 mm of either mark and the required elongation is not obtained, the test shall be disregarded and another test made.
When tested before stranding, the elongation shall be not less than 4 percent. When tested after stranding, the elongation shall be not less than 3-5 percent.
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 398 Part-4 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of Indian Standard 398.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 398 Part 4, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only mandatory but necessary to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 398 Part 4 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.