IS 4289 (Part 1) (Electrical Cables and Wires)
Indian Standard 4289 includes specifications for flexible cables for lifts and other flexible connections; this standard was adopted by Indian Standard Institute on 11th June 1984, proceeding to the finalization of drafts by the Power Cables Sectional Committee, which had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.
The mentioned standard was introduced in 1967, however, it has been revised several times to ensure appropriate alignment with the international standards. As a result of which, the test methods are now covered in a separate standard. Moreover, the preparation of the assistance has been derived from IEC Publication 245-S “Rubber insulated cables of rated voltages up to and including 450/750 V, Part 5: Lift cables” issued by the International Electrotechnical Commission.
As mentioned, IS 4289 includes specifications for flexible cables for lifts and other flexible connection cables, it is essential to determine how essential it is to ensure the high quality of these cables for the safety of the individuals.
It is to be noted that, though flexible cables for lifts and other flexible connections do not fall under the mandatory product list of the Bureau of Indian Standards, being an expert, we will advise you to meet the specific requirements under IS 4289.
Since a tested product serves as proof of safety and reliability, considering the role of lifts and other flexible connection cables every consumer prefers certified products. Moreover, with the increase in the demand for lifts due to an increase in purchasing power and convenience, it provides you a wider market to expand and diversify your business.
From that, it can be concluded that a tested and certified product is preferred by consumers to increase sales by 15X times.
For a better understanding of why it is important to meet the testing requirements of a product, let’s move to the next section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility. For a better understanding, let’s have a look at an example,
Through product testing, it can be easily proved that electrical cables are safe to use, however, in case of any defects found during product testing, can be easily rectified.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 4289 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Now, in the next section, we will learn about the test requirements and product scope of the IS 4289.
Indian Standard IS 4289 Part 1, covers the tests and requirements of circular, elastomer insulated, overall braided or elastomer sheathed lift cables of rated voltage up to and including 1100V.
Moreover, these cables are appropriate to use where the combination of ambient temperature and temperature rise due to loads, results in a steady conductor temperature not increasing above 60-degree.
Also, cables covered under IS 4289 are intended to be used for installations where freely suspended length does not exceed above 35mm, and where the travel speed does not exceed above 1.6 m/s.
In the next section, let’s have a look at the Test requirements in the next section -
Test Requirements of IS 4289 (Part 1)
1. Physical Test For Insulation and Sheath
The below-mentioned test will be conducted as applicable -
- Tensile strength and elongation at break
- Aging in an air oven
- Aging in air bomb
- Aging in an oxygen bomb
- Hot set
- Oil resistance
- Tear resistance
- Torsion test round wires
- Winding test
2. Type Test
The below-mentioned test is covered under type test of IS 4289 -
- Persulphate test (for copper)
- Annealing test (for copper)
- Tensile test (for aluminum)
- Wrapping test (for aluminum)
- Conductor resistance test
- High voltage (water immersion) test
- Insulation resistance test
- Test for the thickness of insulation and sheath and overall diameter
3. Flammability Test
A flammability test will be performed, period or after removal of the flame shall not exceed 60 seconds the unaffected (uncharted) portion from the lower edge of the top damp shall be at least 50 mm.
4. Static Flexibility Test
A sample of sufficient length of the cable shall be unreeled from the drum and tested in an apparatus. Then the two clamps A and B must be located at a height of not below 1.5 m over ground level. Clamp A must be fixed and clamp B shall be movable horizontally at the level of clamp A. After the cable has been allowed to be hung in the position. The movable clamp B must be relocated to the position without disturbing the cable in clamp A and the loop inside diameter shall be measured. The loop must be reversed to the position.
Moreover, by rotating the movable clamp B through 3GO” in the plane of the loop; care shall be taken that the cable is not rotated about its own axis. The loop inside diameter shall be measured once again.
5. Acceptance Test
Below mentioned are the test covered under the acceptance test of IS 4289 -
- Annealing test
- Conductor resistance test
- Test for the thickness of insulation and sheath
- High voltage or water immersion test
- Insulation resistance test
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 4289 Part-1 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of Indian Standard 4289.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 4289 Part 1, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only essential but mandatory to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 4289 Part 1 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.
IS 1554 (Part 1) (Electrical Cables and Wires)
Indian Standard 1554 was adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards on 25th July 1998, proceeding to finalization by the Power Cables Sectional Committee which had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.
IS 9968 (Part 1) (Electrical Cables and Wires)
Indian Standard 9968 was adopted by the Bureau of India Standards (BIS) on 25 August 1988, following the finalization of the draft by the Power Cables Sectional Committee, which had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.