IS 5082 (Electrical - Conductors and Conducting Materials)
Indian Standard 5082 covers wrought aluminum and aluminum alloy bars, rods, tubes, tubes, sections, plates, and sheets for electrical applications. The IS 5082 has been adopted by BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) proceeding to the finalization of the draft by Lights Metal and Their Alloys Sectional Committee, which was approved by the Metallurgical Engineering Division Council.
Though, this IS 5082 was published in 1969, however, had been subsequently revised in 1981 to introduce new modifications as below mentioned -
- Other forms like plates and sheets have been added
- Clauses on chemical composition, mechanical properties, and dimensional tolerances have been modified
- Clauses on electrical properties have been modified.
The wrought aluminum and aluminum alloy bars, rods, tubes, tubes, sections, plates, and sheets are specifically used in the electrical industry for the purpose of electricity transmission. Since it is a well-known fact that the electrical industry is the major contributor to economic growth and the entire country is dependent on the same.
Though it does not fall under the purview of the BIS mandatory list, yet keeping the public view in mind, we being India’s leading compliance service provider would advise you to test and certify your product.
The product testing serves as proof that a product is safe and reliable to use, thus, all the defects had been removed from the product. For a better understanding of how product testing helps in the safety of consumers and benefits manufacturers in the next section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 5082 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Product Scope of IS 5082
Indian Standards 5082 includes specifications with respect to wrought aluminum and aluminum alloy bars, rods, tubes, sections, plates, and sheets for electrical applications, prescribing their chemical composition, mechanical properties, and electrical resistivity /conductivity.
Moreover, IS 5082 is applicable to below mentioned -
- Extruded bars and rods above 6 mm diameter; extruded angles, channels, other sections and profiles including tubes, hollow sections of thickness, 3 mm and above.
- Rolled — plates, sheets of 3 mm and above thickness.
Test Requirements and Characteristics Tested
1. Dimensional Tolerance
The dimensional tolerance of the material must meet the Indian Standards as mentioned the below-mentioned table -
2. Freedom of Defects
The material used must be sound and free from harmful defects. Slight discoloration due to heat treatment shall not be cause for rejection.
3. Electrical resistivity and conductivity
The electrical resistivity will be determined by either unmachined or machined test pieces by direct measurement. Moreover, the electrical conductivity will be determined by in percent of lACS shall be determined by the test method based on Eddy Current Measurement
4. Tensile test
The tensile test must be carried out as per Indian Standards and the value obtained shall comply with the appropriate requirements as provided in the below-mentioned table -
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 5082 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of IS 5082.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 5082, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only mandatory but necessary to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 5082 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.