IS 613 (Electrical Conductors and Conducting Materials)
Indian Standard 613, includes specifications of copper rods and bars for electrical purposes, which has been adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards, after the draft finalized by the Copper and Copper Alloys Sectional Committee had been approved by the Metallurgical Engineering Division Council.
Till now, IS 613 had been revised in 1964 and 1984, subsequent to its first publication in 1954. Indian Standard 613 has been revised for the purpose to incorporate the below-mentioned modifications -
- A straightness value of 3 mm for every 1000 mm has been added.
- The clause on edgewise bending has been deleted.
- Radius on edges has been modified and now given in detail.
- In half-hard conditions, hardness values are specified as 70 to 90 HV.
- The reference to cathode copper has been deleted.
- Conductivity and resistivity values for half-hard and hard temper conditions have been modified.
- Dimensions and tolerances for round, square, rectangular, and hexagonal rods/bars have been included.
- The table on mechanical properties has been modified.
- The clause on bthe end test has been added.
Considering that this standard includes specifications for copper rods and bars which are highly used in the electrical industry such as busbars and transformer components and other usages, it is considered essential to ensure conformance with compliance requirements.
In order to do so, the product must be tested and certified as specified in IS 613 as a tested product ensures that a product is safe and reliable for final consumers, along with providing distinct benefits to manufacturers such as competitive edge, and customer retention, and more.
For a better understanding of why product testing is important, let’s have a look at why product testing is crucial.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most essential purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- It helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 613 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Indian Standard 613 includes specifications for copper rods and bars for electrical purposes.
At the 20-degree celsius temperature, the high conductivity copper density must be taken as 8.89 g/cm3.
2. Electricity resistance and conductivity
The electrical resistance test must be conducted as -
- Direct Measurement of the Test Sample
Electrical resistance measurement must be determined on specimens of the rod proceeding to cleaning, without further processing and annealing.
If the direct measurement of electrical resistivity is not possible on the sample as received condition due to higher sample size, alternatively, method of measuring electrical conductivity in percent IACS, employing eddy current probe may be applied in place of electrical resistivity and the electrical conductivity values.
- Measurement of Test Sample After Annealing
Electrical resistance measurement must be made depending on specimens of the rod after cleaning and processing down to a diameter of approximately 2.0 mm and annealing at a temperature of 500°C for 30 minutes.
Moreover, another equivalent annealing method might be used. Test specimens processed to a diameter other than 2 mm might be used as specified.
The dimensions and tolerances of copper rods and bars for electrical purpose is provided in the below-mentioned table -
4. Freedom of Defects
The copper rods and bars must be bright and clean. It must be free from blisters, slivers, scale, fins, spills, cracks, and other defects.
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 613 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of IS 613.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 613, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only mandatory but necessary to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 613 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.