IS 7098 (Part I) ELECTRICAL- CABLES & WIRES
Indian Standard 7098 includes specifications for cross-linked polyethylene insulated PVC sheathed cables for electrical supply and control purposes. Since these cables are used for electrical supply and control, it is critical to understand that these components of the electrical power industry affect the economy as a whole, if conformance with compliance requirements is not maintained.
Considering this, the Bureau of Indian Standards introduced IS 7098 dated 22 December 1988, after the finalization of the draft by the Power Cables Sectional Committee had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.
The major issue behind the introduction of this standard was to establish mandatory standards for cross-linked polyethylene insulated PVC sheathed cables, keeping in view of public interest, including providing safe, credible, and reliable products to consumers.
Moreover, since it is mandatory to comply with the specifications for cross-linked polyethylene insulated PVC sheathed cables, it helps you not only retain customers but also provides a competitive advantage.
To attain the benefits of a product must be tested and certified as prescribed by the concerned standard. Here, in the next section refer to the below-mentioned section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility. For a better understanding, let’s have a look at an example,
Through product testing, it can be easily proved that electrical cables are safe to use, however, in case of any defects found during product testing, it provides an opportunity to eliminate those.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 7098 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Now, in the next section, we will learn about the test requirements and product scope of the IS 7098.
IS 7098 Part 1, covers the requirements of distinct XLPE cables, it could be, armored and unarmoured single, twin, three, four and mum-core crosslinked polyethylene (XLPE) insulated and PVC sheathed cables for electric supply and control purposes. Moreover, cables covered under India Standard 7098 Part 1 are appropriate for use on single phase or three phases (earthed or unearthed) systems for rated voltages up to and including 1100 V. These cables may be used on the systems or rated voltages up to and including 15OO V to earth.
Properties of XLPE Insulation
Testing Requirements and Component or Parameters Tested
1. Optional Tests
The optional test includes below mentioned tests -
- Cold bend test for outer sheath (IS: 5831-1984 and Part 20 of IS: 10810t)
- Cold impact test for outer sheath (IS: 5831·1984 and Part 21 of IS: 10810t)
- Resistance test for armor (other than mining, cable)
2. Routine Tests
The routine test includes below mentioned tests -
- Conductor resistance test.
- High voltage test.
- Resistance test for armor (for mine cable only).
3. Physical Tests For Outer Sheath
Physical tests for outer sheath include the below-mentioned test -
- Physical tests for the outer sheath
- Aging in an air oven
- Loss of mass in an air oven
- Shrinkage test
- Hot deformation
- Heat shock test
- Thermal stability
4. Acceptance Test
The acceptance test includes below mentioned tests -
- Annealing test (for aluminum)
- Tensile test (for aluminum)
- Wrapping test (for aluminum)
- Conductor resistance test
- Test for the thickness of insulation and sheath
- Hot set test for insulation
- Tensile strength and elongation at break test for insulation and sheath
- High voltage test
- Insulation resistance for high voltage test
5. Test For Round Steel Wire or Formed Steel Wire (Stripe) Armor
Below mentioned are included in the testing of round steel wire -
- Physical tests on round/round wire
- Tensile strength
- Elongation At break
- Torsion Test for round wire
- Winding Test for formed wires
Apart from the above-mentioned test, below mentioned are some other test requirements which need to be followed -
- Annealing Test (For Copper)
- Flammability test
- Loss of Mass of sheath
- Mass of Zinc Coating
- Resistance, Conductance of Armor
- Thermal stability test of Sheath
- Water absorption test
- Winding Test for Galvanized Steel Strips for Armoring
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 7098 Part - I Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of the Indian Standard 7098 Part 1.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 7098 Part 1, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only essential but mandatory to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 7098 Part 1 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.
IS 7098 (Electrical Cables and Wires)
IS 7098, is an Indian Standard, which has three parts, which are applicable on crosslinked polyethylene insulated PVC sheathed cables that are widely used in net power systems and power distribution and transmitting.
IS 694 (Electrical Cables and Wires)
IS 694, is an Indian Standard applicable to PVC insulated cables. It was adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards, in a wake of the finalization of the draft by the Power Cables Sectional Committee, which had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.