IS 9968 (Part-2) (Electrical Cables and Wires)
Indian Standard 9968 was adopted by the Bureau of India Standards (BIS) in 1953, following the finalization of the draft by the Power Cables Sectional Committee, which had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.
This standard is basically applicable to Elastomer insulated cables, which are generally used for the purpose of mining, ship wiring, transportation sector, and Defense applications & earth moving machines.
Considering the crucial role of elastomer insulated cables, it can be seamlessly concluded that they play a major role in economic development, since mining, ship wiring defense application, and other uses play a direct role in our economy.
That’s why, keeping the public interest in view, it is essential to meet the compliance requirements to ensure that a product meets the specifications of Indian Standards. Moreover, to ensure conformance with compliance requirements product testing is conducted, since it is mandatory to obtain a BIS certification to sell or import elastomer insulated cables in India.
For more information with respect to the benefits of the product, testing let’s move to the next section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is the quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure conformance with established technical standards to produce high-quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility. For a better understanding, let’s have a look at an example,
Through product testing, it can be easily proved that electrical cables are safe to use, however, in case of any defects are found during product testing, can be seamlessly eliminated.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, which further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with IS 9968 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming unmatched quality standards.
Now, in the next section, we will learn about the test requirements and product scope of the IS 9968.
IS 9968 part 2, covers the requirements of heat resisting elastomer insulated cables for fixed installation and flexible cables for single phase and three-phased systems, appropriate for voltage of 3.3 kV up to and including 33 kV.
These cables are appropriate for use where the combination of ambient temperature and temperature increase because of the load results in a conductor temperature not exceeding 90-degree under normal operating conditions and 250-degree under short circuit conditions.
In the next section, let’s have a look at the Test requirements in the next section -
Test Requirements of IS 9968 (Part 2)
1. Physical Test On Round or Formed Wire
Below mentioned are the test conducted under physical test -
- Tensile test
- Elongation at break
- Torsion test for round wires
- Winding test for formed wires
- Uniformity test for zinc coating
- Mass of zinc coating
2. Type Test
The below-mentioned test is covered under the type test of IS 9968 -
- Annealing test (for copper)
- Tensile test for aluminum
- Wrapping test for aluminum
- Conductor resistance test
- Persulphate test (for copper)
3. Flammability Test
A flammability test will be performed, period after removal of the flame shall not exceed 60 seconds the unaffected (uncharted) portion from the lower edge of the top damp shall be at least 50 mm.
4. Acceptance Test
The below-mentioned test must be performed under the Acceptance test -
- Annealing test (for copper)
- Tensile Test (for aluminum)
- Copper test (for aluminum)
- Conductor resistance test
- Test for the thickness of insulation and sheath and overall diameter
- Tensile strength and elongation at break of insulation and sheath
- Hot set test for insulation and sheath (where applicable)
- High voltage test
- Insulation resistance test
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With IS 9968 Part-II Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of the Indian Standard 9968 Part 2.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of BIS or not, including whether a product complies with the BIS standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the BIS officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with a BIS accredited laboratory for product testing.
- You can expect reliable and punctual service delivery as we will also visit the BIS office on your behalf if required.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of BIS.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
IS 9968 Part 2, an Indian Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only essential but mandatory to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in IS 9968 Part 2 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support to obtain a BIS certificate.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.
IS 9968 (Part 1) (Electrical Cables and Wires)
Indian Standard 9968 was adopted by the Bureau of India Standards (BIS) on 25 August 1988, following the finalization of the draft by the Power Cables Sectional Committee, which had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.
IS 1554 (Part-2) (Electrical - Cables and Wires)
Indian Standard 1554 was adopted by the Bureau of Indian Standards on 25th July 1998, proceeding to finalization by the Power Cables Sectional Committee which had been approved by the Electrotechnical Division Council.