QM 333/Issue-2 is typically applicable to most types of telecommunication equipment, which specifically has been introduced for the environmental testing of the Telecommunication Equipment, which typically has been framed by the Telecommunications Engineering Center (TEC).
This standard has been introduced keeping the climatological conditions in view of certain risks of management failures that need to be undertaken due to technological development and cost effectiveness. In order to do that, QM 333/Issue-2 provides certain test conditions with the purpose to assess the design capability of equipment, including qualifying the manufacturing and associated process.
Moreover, it is to be noted that it is not an accelerated test, conducted for reliability assessment nor is it intended to be an electronic screen test, however, the cycles do provide certain cycles of stress screening under storage.
QM 333/Issue-2 provides information with respect to the environmental testing of the Telecommunication Equipment, which is the world's second-largest telecommunications market. Therefore, presents an opportunity to grow and expand the business be it importing or manufacturing in India. Keeping the importance of safety and reliability of consumers in mind, it is mandatory to ensure conformance with compliance requirements as prescribed by QM 333/Issue-2.
In order to do that, product testing is done, a product testing reflects that a product has been tested as prescribed. Thus, showing that a product is safe and reliable to use.
For more information with respect to the benefits of product testing let’s move to the next section.
Why is Product Testing Crucial | Importance of Product Testing
- One of the most important purposes of testing is quality assurance of a product that reflects high quality, safety, and reliability.
- Product testing allows the manufacturer to ensure the conformance with established technical standards to produce high quality and safe products.
- Build reputation and maximize the profit, considering that a tested product indicates quality assurance.
- Helps in retaining customers, thus, providing a competitive edge.
- Helps in understanding distinct types of stress a product can endure, be it in case of weather, wear tear, and other conditions.
- In the initial prototyping stage, if you are trying to avail investment in order to manufacture your product in mass quantities, a tested product can allow you to achieve patent and investors as it shows the quality and functionality of the product.
With the benefits of product testing, we can clearly estimate how testing ensures quality assurance and product credibility.
Since, it has been established how essential product testing is, now let’s move to the benefits of complying with standards.
What Are the Benefits of Complying With Standards?
Complying with standards offers numerous benefits to manufacturers and importers of the product, that further helps in building trustworthiness and reliability, thus retaining the customers.
Why, don’t we look at other benefits of the same -
- A certified product acts as a shield against penalties and fines which could be imposed for not certifying a product.
- A certified product serves as an evidence that a product has been tested and certified as per prescribed standards.
- A certified product provides a sense of security and safety to the consumers, thus ensuring easy acceptance.
- It provides a competitive advantage over competitors.
- Easy market acceptance as a product is tested and certified.
- Confirm the unmatched quality standards.
- Seamless to file government tenders.
With these benefits of ensuring conformance with QM 333/Issue-2 standards and specifications, a manufacturer can establish that a product is safe, reliable, and credible, thus, confirming to unmatched quality standards.
Now, in the next section, we will learn about test requirements and product scope of the QM 333/Issue-2.
Scope Under QM 333/Issue-2
QM 333/Issue-2 is typically applicable to most types of telecommunication equipment, which specifically has been introduced for the environmental testing of the Telecommunication Equipment, which typically has been framed by the TEC.
This standard is applicable to all types of telecommunication equipment, which are being used in Indian Telecom Network, including the subsystems which are being used as equipment must also ensure conformance with these standards.
The mentioned standard includes information with respect to the conditions in which if an equipment is continuous to operate, would establish a strong confidence that a product is safe and reliable. Therefore, can work in the field environment during expected operational and storage life.
Test to Be Conducted or Component Test
QM 333/Issue-2 includes below mentioned test -
- Pre-conditioning, when required.
- Initial measurements.
- Intermediate measurement.
- Recovery, when required.
- Final measurements.
Now, let’s have a look at these in detail -
1. Pre-conditioning, when required
Typically, it is treatment of equipment conducted with the motive to eliminate or partly counteract the effects of the previous history.
2. Burn in
Let’s understand what burn-in is?
Burn in is typically a condition in which the equipment kept under pseudo simulated conditions as envisaged during its storage or service for a period of 168 hours or at 50 C for a duration of 72 hours under laboratory conditions or any other test conditions mutually agreed upon.
3. Visual Examination
Visual examination is conducted before and after conditioning in each test, therefore, is a part of initial measurement and final measurements. Since, through the visual inspection, any defects such as defects in construction, the presence of foreign bodies, moisture, dust etc, corrosion of metal parts and any form of deterioration of materials and finishes, distortion or mechanical imperfections can be identified easily.
4. Defect Classification List (DCL)
- Verification of equipment with documents
- Check of component approval status
- Check of workmanship such as mounting of components, quality of soldering, marking and identification etc.
5. Initial Measurement
This contains inspection as per Defect Classification List (DCL) and testing to be conducted on the equipment to the standard guaranteed or specified critical operative parameters before conditioning in order to determine the characteristics of equipment.
Moreover, the selected parameters must represent the overall health of the equipment, including can be measurable in the stipulated. That further includes scrutinization of any physical parameters, whenever required.
Conditioning is basically the exposure of the equipment to the environment condition which will help in determining the effect of the conditioning.
7. Intermediate Measurement
Intermediate measurement is conducted during or at the end of the conditioning.
8. Standard Check
Under standard check, the equipment must be tested electrically to scrutinize the specified critical parameters, as prescribed in the standards. That ensures that the equipment is being checked as per the relevant standards and the duration of the test must not exceed over an hour.
9. Functional Check
For functional check, an equipment must be tested electrically to scrutinize the specified critical parameters, as provided in the standards. Moreover, the equipment remains operational excluding any irreversible damage and the duration of the test must be as short as possible.
As its name specifies, it is a condition, in which an equipment is recovered after conditioning with the motive to stabilize the equipment prior to the conducting final measurement.
11. Irreversible Damage
As its name implies, the equipment has not recovered from the damage caused to its normal operating condition without any change in hardware or software part of the equipment, including without any re-setting the input supply of the equipment.
12. Final Examination and Measurement
Under final examination and measurement, an inspection will be carried out by Defect Classification List (DCL), including testing of equipment as per standard for standard guaranteed or specified critical operative parameters as the test concludes. This is done in order to show the effect of the test on the equipment through comparison of initial measurements.
The result of the final examination and measurement conducted at the end of the test might be taken as the initial examination and measurement for the further test which will be conducted.
How We Help Ensuring Conformance With QM 333 Specifications?
- We will educate you concerning every aspect of QM 333.
- We will check whether a product falls under the purview of the concerned standard, including whether a product complies with the standards or not, then, after mutual understanding, the project will move forward.
- There is no better place to obtain it than JR Compliance because we will analyze the product requirements to give clear guidelines.
- JR Compliance has experienced expert professionals, who can assist you in the documentation, evaluation, and examination.
- We are equipped with the necessary resources to conduct a virtual pre-audit to confirm whether your manufacturing unit and production process are complying with provided specifications or not.
- JR Compliance will schedule a meeting with the officer for a factory audit.
- If you lack an in-house testing facility, we will help you in setting up one.
- We will coordinate with an accredited laboratory for product testing.
- We invest our sustained efforts to meet the startled queries or demands of concerned authorities.
- In case of any concern, we assure to provide the finest solution.
QM 333, an International Standard applicable to electrical cables, which are usually used in the Mining industry and metro industries, is one of the major contributors to our economic development. Considering that, it is not only mandatory but necessary to ensure conformance with specifications mentioned in QM 333 with the purpose to introduce your product in the Indian market.
Keeping the importance of conformance with compliance in mind, we - JR Compliance, a leading compliance service provider are equipped with experts and resources to provide you with above and beyond support.
Till now, we have experience in providing compliance assistance to over 10,000+ global leaders such as Toray, Bombay Dyeing, Softbank, and others.
For details, get in touch with our experts.