Succession Certificate Online- Meaning, Difference, Procedure
Succession certificates are crucial documents that prove the transfer of assets and liabilities from a deceased person to his legal heirs. In today's fast-paced world, the process of obtaining a succession certificate can be time-consuming and cumbersome, especially for those who are already grappling with the loss of a loved one.
However, with the advent of technology, the process has become much easier, with the option of obtaining a succession certificate online. In this blog, we will delve into the world of online succession certificates, exploring succession certificates vs. legal heir certificates, and how to get one. Whether you are an executor of a will or a legal heir, this blog will provide you with the information you need to navigate the process smoothly and efficiently.
What Is a Succession Certificate?
A Succession Certificate is a legal document issued by a court of law in India, which certifies that a deceased person's assets and liabilities have been transferred to his legal heirs. It serves as proof of ownership of the assets and liabilities of a deceased person and is required to settle the deceased person's estate, claim life insurance benefits, and perform other financial transactions.
The Succession Certificate is issued after the court has examined the documents related to the deceased person's will, if any, and has satisfied itself that the legal heirs are entitled to receive the assets and liabilities. The certificate is issued to the legal heir or heirs, who can then use it to claim the assets and liabilities of the deceased person.
When a Succession Certificate Is Required
A Succession Certificate format is needed when somebody inherits any movable or immovable property under the various Property Laws in the country. Most of these cases come under the Hindu Succession Act. While some of them fall under the Indian Succession Act or community acts.
A Succession Certificate is a document that is given by the government to validate the right of immovable property. The document confirms that the person who is attempting to take ownership of the property is the legal heir to the prior owner. This certification is important for two main reasons-
- It guarantees that the individual who is attempting to take the right to the property is legally permitted to do so;
- It allows the government to transfer the title of the property to the new owner.
Succession Certificate Vs Legal Heir Certificate
|Legal Heir Certificate
|Issued by a competent court
|Issued by the revenue section of the government
|Certifies that the person named in the certificate is the lawful successor to the property of a deceased person
|Certifies that a person is the legal heir of a deceased person
|Proves the right to inherit property
|Lists all the legal heirs of the deceased person along with their relationship to the deceased person
|Required to transfer the title of the property to legal heirs
|Required for the transfer of property rights, government benefits, pension benefits, insurance benefits, etc.
|Usually required by financial institutions, banks, and other authorities to transfer assets of a deceased person to rightful heirs
|Help in establishing the relationship of a person to the deceased person and their right to inherit the assets.
Succession Certificate Procedure
The procedure for obtaining a Succession Certificate format generally involves the following steps:
- Preparing and verifying the Petition/Application: The applicant has to prepare a petition that must be signed and verified. The petition must contain the details of the deceased person, the relationship of the applicant to the deceased person, and the details of the assets that need to be transferred.
- Submission: The verified petition must be submitted to the District Court along with the appropriate court fee.
- Inspection: The petition will be inspected by the District Judge, who will examine it closely to ensure that it is complete and meets the requirements.
- Hearing: After the inspection, the judge will fix a date for the hearing. A notice of the hearing will be sent to all the concerned parties.
- Newspaper Notice: The court will issue a newspaper notice for 45 days. Any person who objects to the issuance of the Succession Certificate can file an objection during this period.
- Issue of Certificate: If the court does not receive any objections, it can issue the Succession Certificate to the applicant.
- Surety: The judge may also require the applicant to provide a bond with one or more sureties or securities as a guarantee that they will use the certificate only for the purpose for which it was issued.
In conclusion, obtaining a succession certificate online can be a simple and efficient way to transfer the assets and liabilities of a deceased person to his legal heirs. With the help of compliance services, the process can be made even more straightforward, saving time, effort, and stress.
Our team of experts at JR Compliance is dedicated to helping you navigate the legal formalities with ease, so you can focus on what's important - grieving and remembering your loved one. Our services are designed to provide you with the support and guidance you need, every step of the way. So, if you need a succession certificate, contact us today and let us help you secure your future with ease and peace of mind.