BIS Certification Services for Nuts, Bolts and Fasteners
The Indian economy is rapidly expanding and it is considered to be one of the fastest-growing economies in the world. But in order to survive in the cutthroat environment of the international market, competing with the biggest global economies, it needs to have products that match the international quality standards. And nuts, bolts, and fasteners being the unsung heroes that hold everything together in the world of construction, it is necessary to maintain that these components meet stringent quality and safety standards
To ensure that The Ministry of Commerce and Industry issued an order on 21 July 2023 for Quality Control of Nuts, Bolts, and Fasteners.
The BIS- Bureau of Indian Standards Certification, is a National Standards body that ensures that the products match the quality and Compliance with established standards for products and services in India.
This mark is necessary for gaining consumer trust, ensuring market safety, and market access, and is also considered to be crucial for legal compliance.
Basic requirements for the BIS ISI Certification Process
The basic requirements for the BIS ISI Certification are as follows
The product must meet the quality requirements of Indian standards.
The BIS Certification is valid only for factories that produce products and not for retailers/distributors.
If a firm has many factories located at different locations, each of them must apply separately.
The laboratory in which the test for the product in accordance with the applicable ISS will take place needs to be fully furnished with product testing machinery and qualified quality control employees.
All the production and testing equipment should be situated on the plant grounds and must be in accordance with the ISS guidelines and the relevant SIT.
The Certification process of BIS for Nuts, Bolts and Fasteners
The ISI Mark certification for Nuts, Bolts, and fasteners considers the following steps:
- Selection of relevant product codes
- Completed online registration application for BIS with the required documentation.
- Inspection of the factory by a BIS-approved Auditor.
- Submission of sample report prepared by a BIS-approved laboratory.
- License granted by BIS Authority.
Furthermore, there are two more distinct ways to obtain BIS Certification for nuts and bolts:
- Normal Procedure (This takes up to 60-65 days)
- Simplified Procedure (This takes up to 30-35 days)
Visit our blog to learn about BIS Certification Services for Finned type Heat Exchanger.
What is ISI Mark Certification?
The Indian Standards Institute or ISI is the BIS Certification process that attests to a product’s safety and compliance with BIS Standards.
It is a way to ensure that the products meet the required safety and quality standards and do not cause any disastrous consequences. It also helps in enhancing consumer confidence and protects them from health and safety risks.
Documents Required For ISI Certification In India
The registered address of your production unit along with the copy of the registration certificate.
- A copy of test reports from a BIS-approved laboratory.
- A list of all the testing equipment employed in your production unit
- A copy of the manufacturing process flow chart
- A copy of identification documents issued by the government
- A copy of your registered trademark
- Copy of all utility bills.
What is FMCS (Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme)
Since 2000, The BIS FMCS Certification (Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme) for foreign manufacturers has been administered by the Bureau of Indian Standards in accordance with Scheme-I of Schedule-II of the BIS Act, 2016, and the (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018. This system allows international businesses to sell their goods in India using the ISI Mark.
Only the FMCD is licensed to provide BIS Certificates for import.
The BIS FMCS Certificate verifies that the manufacturing units- domestic and abroad adhere to all BIS-specified requirements.
As a result, all international producers must get a BIS Certificate in India under the FMCS Scheme in order to continue business in the Indian market.
Documents required for FMCS Certification in India
The documents required for FMCS Certification in India are as follows:
- Copy of the factory’s registration paperwork.
- Copy of the manufacturing process flow chart
- Specifications regarding quality control in the factory
- Specifications regarding testing facilities
- Test result by BIS-authorized factory
Process of acquiring BIS Certificate for Nuts, Bolts, and Fasteners under FMCS
The FMCS BIS Certification procedure consists of the following steps:
- Submit the application form.
- Gather all the required documents
- Submit the application along with all required documents to the site of online BIS Certification and hardcopy to the FMCS Department
- BIS Authority will verify the submitted application
- The applicant will receive a reference number that is to be kept for future purpose
- The BIS officer will schedule a visit to the applicant’s factory for an inspection
- The applicant will pay the inspection/audit fee after the officer has inspected the premises.
- The officer will take the sample, seal it, and send it to an independent BIS-approved laboratory for examination.
- BIS (FMCS) will receive the report of the test conducted.
Grant of Licence
Applicant should pay the license fee and then the grant of license will be issued.
The Ministry of Commerce and Industry issued an order specified in a Gazette Notification dated 21 July 2023 for Quality Control of Nuts, Bolts, and Fasteners.
According to the order, nuts, bolts, and fasteners are not to be manufactured, sold, or stored unless they bear the BIS Mark.
A violation of a BIS Act provision can result in a minimum punishment of INR 1 lakh or a maximum sentence of two years in jail for a first offense. The penalties will be increased to a minimum of INR 5 lakh and can go up to 10 times the value of the goods or items in the event of a second or subsequent infraction.
Without a standard quality and recognized product, it is difficult for manufacturers to strive in the cutthroat environment of today's market. And that is where the role of BIS Certification steps in. In order to obtain a BIS Certificate the company must ensure that the products manufactured conform to the Indian Quality standards.